Chapter Seven

They were twenty one against thirty eight, but the odds didn't trouble Elena. Her people were highly skilled, and they would be attacking progressively, eliminating their opponents along the way. The Prince took ten guards to find more weapons, and Elena took the rest, nine in all, to free Joran.

She made for the door, nodding to Silan to lead. The others followed behind her. They advanced slowly, taking care to check corners before they rounded them. Only the odd torch illuminated long stretches of dark hallways.

Silan signalled Elena up to the corner of one hallway and silently pointed around the bend. She slipped in front of him and peered around for a second, catching sight of her target: a single door, half way to the end of the next passage. It was guarded by two men. She couldn't determine how many might be on the inside, or if there were any others nearby. Silan drew off a glove, wriggled his fingers, and placed his hand on the wall that connected with the door down the hall. For a brief moment, his expression became distant and unfocused.

Another magician, Elena thought, wondering what kind of intelligence this man would be able to get from bare fingers touching a wall.

"There are four others inside, as well as the Lady Rainna and Prince Joran," he whispered.

"Are you certain?" Elena asked.

The man nodded as he replaced his glove. Elena marvelled at this talent.

Silan determined that there was a way to backtrack and come around to the other end of the hall, so she sent him and three of her guards while she remained with the rest. She listened for their attack.

A sharp cry of surprise was her signal. Her guards leaped upon their targets and Elena slipped by into an antechamber where another two guards were rushing towards the door. She struck one down so fast he didn't even make a sound. The other was taken down by Silan, who flashed a happy grin.

Elena stepped past the body to enter the final vault room. Joran, the young prince, was there, bound and gagged, sitting cross-legged on a small square carpet in the middle of the room. Elena's companions fell on the other two guards in the room.

A woman near her drew her blade, tossing her long pale hair back with a flick of her head. Her features reminded Elena of Jaline, Joran's sister. This was surely Rainna.

Joran's eyes flashed in surprise as his eyes met Elena's. Quick-thinking, he rolled to the side and out of the way. Rainna stood between her and Joran as if guarding a prize. She rocked from side to side, waiting for an opportunity to strike. Elena knew not to give her one and struck first.

Rainna was deft with a blade, and met Elena's sword with her own.

"Are you my husband's new pet?" Lady Rainna sneered.

"I am Captain of the Queen's guard," Elena replied as she parried a thrust.

"I am the Queen of Castillon!" Rainna announced. "So, Liran's Mommy sent you, did she?" She began rocking again. Joran looked worried.

"Castillon has no King or Queen," said Elena, deciding this had gone on long enough. She struck Rainna with an odd, side-angled blow that slid up and caught Rainna's sword-guard, disarming her. It clanged on the stone floor. Elena kicked it aside, as the woman dove and rolled away toward the door and slipped out like a snake.

Shocked at her speed, Elena struggled with the desire to follow her. The others outside the vault might catch her. She had to look after the young prince. She cut his bonds. Once freed, he stood and looked at Elena.

"Thank you for releasing me," he said, examining her face. "I know you, I think. Are you not the daughter of the old—?"

Elena held up a hand. She needed to hear what was happening outside and she didn't want to talk about her father. The sounds had changed. Her companions should have dispatched their opponents by now, but the sound of fighting continued.