Chapter Thirty Four

At dawn, Elena walked out along the beach until she reached the spot that Liran had indicated, a point where the cliffs which ran along the back of the beach jutted forward to almost touched the water. There was a shallow cave there just around the corner from this point where one could shelter from the sun and wind. Here she found Liran seated cross-legged on the stone floor with his eyes shut. She waited at the entrance so as not to disturb him.

At first, she didn't think he was doing anything more than meditating, much as she was taught by her forms master, but as she watched him, she felt as if he was reaching out with his mind, calling for someone, though he never moved or spoke. The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end.

After a few minutes, she felt her attention drifting. She looked out over the water. The waves were lively this morning. The water crept up onto the beach, swirling as it came, then drew back, pulling the sand along with it, smoothing and erasing all traces of man where it passed.

"Greetings, Liran Calimero, Lord of Castillon, Prince of Kalad."

A woman's voice, as smooth as a beach pebble sounded loud and clear in the cave. Elena snapped around at the sound to catch sight of a ghostly female shape standing before him. Elena couldn't comprehend what she saw. The woman was tall, with long golden hair, and was dressed in old fashioned clothing of Estallium from before Elena's time.

She wondered who and what this apparition was. Elena couldn't quite see the woman's face from where she was standing. Liran appeared unsurprised by her sudden and transparent appearance, but somehow he looked a little puzzled, as if she wasn't who he had expected. He rose hand bowed deeply and with great reverence. Whoever she was, Elena concluded, he considered himself her lesser.

"Greetings to you as well, my Lady. I am surprised by your appearance, for I was in search of Namilda who was once my teacher. I have tried many times to call her, but she has not responded."

Elena recalled the name Namilda from their stargazing last night. She was one of the Guardian. Few people of either race had ever had dealings with them. Liran touched his hand to his chest and dissembled.

"I'm afraid I'm at a disadvantage. I don't believe we have met before."

The woman laughed. "I am Maylani of Mount Gelhirin, good Prince."

The Guardians' own Queen was here among them. Elena was shocked.

Maylani sounded distant, as if she had other things on her mind. "I'm afraid Namilda is unable to reply to your hails."

Liran sat on his rock again, his features reassembled to reflect his concern. "How is it that she cannot respond?"

"She is being held prisoner by the one who is named Korr. He has taken her strength to add to his own."

Elena wondered what she meant by that. If Guardians were the most powerful beings in the world, what did that make this Korr now?

As she spoke, Maylani turned a little and glanced at Elena. She smiled at her. Elena caught her breath as she saw the ghost woman's face. The woman looked so much like her. Elena had always thought that she resembled her father, but it shocked her to realize that she resembled this woman even more. Maylani turned up the edges of her mouth in a self conscious smile.

"Ah, here is The Defender. Greetings, Elena Valeria, daughter of Eradon. You have made good progress thus far." Elena wondered what she meant, and why she had called her that. There was no warmth in her words but Maylani glittered in a ray of sunlight that reached into the grotto. Elena didn't know what to say. She bowed, though not enough for the circumstances, as a thousand questions flooded her mind.