Chapter Sixty

They arrived back at their encampment after nightfall. Torches were posted along the main alleys to guide them. The smoke from a distance gave Elena a chill as she looked out over it all from a hill just beyond. It was the last stretch of path before they rode into the camp.

Liran guided his mount around beside her.

"You seemed very happy to see your family."

Elena smiled at him.

"I've been away a very long time."

"Do you wish to return to Estallium?"

Realizing she was slouching in her saddle, Elena corrected her posture.

"I miss my family, of course, but Castillon is my home now."

Everyone had changed. Master Terentius was so ancient. Garion, who had trained with her as a youth, was now Field Marshall of the Legion, and also the father of the Imperial Heir. Corillion's hair had turned nearly white. Everyone was so much older. Everyone except her.

A lump formed in her throat as she realized she would likely out live them all.

What it would be like to live in a world where her entire family was gone? With no one else to think about, nothing would keep her grounded.

She rubbed her arms as gooseflesh rose there. Was this why her mother seemed so detached from the world? Even as she strove to maintain the balance of everything within it, the woman had sounded so cold and emotionless when she spoke.

Elena looked at Liran and remembered how he was also much older than he appeared.

"How do you deal with the passage of so much time? Do the years weigh heavily?"

Liran frowned, considering her question.

"In what way?"

"I saw how much my friends and family have aged in the ten years I've been away. I realize they'll all die and I'll be alone one day."

Liran's smile was tight.

"I honour their memory with fondness, but I also have family and friends who remain."

He meant the Hilliri, of course.

When at last they had reached the first row of tents and entered the encampment, Alkema rode out to greet them and formally returned authority over the army back to Elena.

"I hope you had a productive meeting with the Legion commanders."

Elena dismounted, handing the reins over to a page. Liran rode on toward his own tent. She dusted her jacket off as she walked beside Alkema into the centre of the camp. Everything looked in good shape, although the mood was somewhat sullen. She headed toward the slight hill where her personal tent was pitched.

"Join me, First Commander. I will update you on our plans."

Alkema followed along beside her.

"I am at you service, Field Marshall, but can I suggest we go to my tent? I imagine this will be a long meeting, and my servant has just prepared an excellent meal which I would be delighted to share with you. I have an excellent vintage you might like to sample as well."

It would be a while until Carsini could manage to prepare a meal, having just arrived, so she agreed, grabbing a map before going on to Alkema's tent.

The meal was excellent, as promised, and did much to settle her mood. It was hard not to be agitated somewhat before a battle. Elena took a last sip of wine and waited while Alkema's personal servant cleared off the table.