Chapter Forty Two

The day was a busy one. Elena reviewed the new army rulebook with her chosen leaders. They were a mix of Hilliri and Trillas, some even retirees from the Legion and the Kaldene army. Experience was important to her, but she also chose several younger people. Those she had met who showed signs of leadership ability, even a few women, though there were sadly very few to choose from.

She spent hours going over the route plans for the march and reviewing what supplies would be needed on their journey with Baldassare. She was confident he had things in hand, especially when he brought up things she had forgotten.

When Elena finally returned and opened the door to her rooms, she found Maranus, sporting a new uniform, admiring himself in a mirror. He looked more youthful and less worn. The dark red-brown colour had always suited him. She dusted off some lint from his lapel.

"Well, look at you. Ready to return to your post."

Maranus caught her hand and held it.

"I'm here only because you cared enough to look after me. Thank you." He raised her hand to his lips and kissed it. Elena rolled her eyes.

"Maranus, stop making such a fuss. You would have done the same for me. For that matter, you already have, many times, as I recall. What's a life saving here or there among friends?"

She grinned. Long ago they had kept score in a playful manner. She stepped back and looked him over.

"Not bad for a quickly made uniform. It's not even a style the tailor is used to sewing, but I think she got the colour right. Thank you for this."

Maranus turned away from the mirror and took a long look at Elena.

"I like the dark blue on you. It took a little getting used to, but it goes well with your colouring. Did you choose it?"

"No, these are the colours of the house of Calimero."

"Calimero?"

"That's Prince Liran's family name."

"Ah yes, my healer. Talented man, but very strange. So much like the Hilliri, but also not. This whole land is peculiar, Hilliri living alongside the Trillas."

Elena sunk into a soft chair.

"I like it here because I don't risk getting stoned to death for not growing grey and wrinkled, and if I want to take a lover, I can do so without fearing that others will judge me harshly for it. I don't like having to hide who I am."

A little sadness crept into his eyes.

"People in the Empire can be so critical. So... have you taken a lover?"

Heat flushed over Elena's face at the question.

"You shouldn't ask such a question."

"It's only because I want you to be happy, Elena."

He caressed her cheek.

"Enough years have passed since we parted. Can't we just be friends now?"

While Elena agreed in principle, she remembered catching several thoughts from him while while clearing his mind of enemy influence that contradicted this.

"My journey through your mind revealed some anger on your part. I never realized how much it hurt you that I refused your proposal."

"I thought I knew how you felt about me. I had no idea there would be any reason for you to say no."

"You really didn't understand how much I needed to be in the Legion, that I couldn't give up the one thing that was holding me together."

The muscles at Maranus' jaw clenched and unclenched. "Again, I curse that blasted Atreus for the damage he did to you."

Elena raised her arms in a plea for silence. The years had finally healed the wounds that she had acquired at her former husband's hand.

"You couldn't have prevented anything, old friend. I know you wish you had. Remember, I thought marrying Atreus was what I wanted. Even though my brother had made the arrangement, any woman in the nine provinces would have gladly taken my place. Atreus could be charming when he wanted something."

"He was a handsome fellow, I give you that."

Elena laughed. "You think I ought to be immune to the attentions of a handsome man?"

Maranus looked at his feet for a moment, then back at Elena.

"I was wrong before, Elena. I said you hadn't changed, but you have. It just doesn't show on the outside."

____________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Unsheathed. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca