Chapter Thirty Nine

After leaving further orders for the others to make sure the Prince and Galira were allowed to rest comfortably and were to be encouraged to eat and drink as much as possible (now that she knew how much the use of maru could drain a person of energy) Elena followed the men carrying Maranus upstairs.

When they arrived in her quarters, Elena ordered several buckets of warm water and towels to be brought by the servants, as well as blankets and a comfortable pallet to lay her patient on.

When the water arrived, the servant knelt beside the body to wash him, but Elena would have no one else touch him.

"Leave me to look after him."

The young girl appeared baffled by this, but left as directed.

Carefully, Elena peeled off the shreds of Maranus' jacket and pants. He wore neither boots nor any other covering on his feet, and he was covered with grime and grit, blood and filth from head to toe. At least now he rested in a satisfied slumber.

She watched his peaceful expression as she dipped her cloth, wrung it out, and set about scrubbing off the accumulated filth. She was careful, but it took some effort to remove the grime, and she feared to wake him.

As she scrubbed each part, she examined him. After years of being lovers, she knew his body well, but now, after more than fifteen years had passed, the signs of advancing age were creeping in, and the damage of his captivity had taken a toll. The remainder of bruises and contusions marred his handsome face, the contours of his broad chest, shoulders, arms and legs.

She continued, remarking on each injury. Though he had been healed, the Marulan focused mostly on internal damage and broken bones. The rest would eventually heal on its own. Deep lines carved into his face and grey-white hair specked his chest, head and beard. Maranus had always preferred to be clean-shaven, but he had been captive long enough to sprout a thick, snowy stubble.

Tears sprang unchecked from her eyes as she worked.

"My dearest, what have they done to you? What secrets did they try to extract? Did you tell them anything?"

Even though they had gone their separate ways after a bitter argument more than fifteen years ago, she loved him all the same, and always would.

Finally, she was satisfied and placed the cloth aside. He slept peacefully now, sprawled across the pallet, naked but clean. She covered him with a soft blanket and left him to rest.

He would need clothes when he woke. Elena went to the door to call a servant to fetch something suitable. She was almost at the door when he let out a cry. She turned and rushed to his side. His eyes were still shut, but he thrashed about in a panic, whimpering and moaning as he squirmed.

Elena sighed. Likely he dreamed of his captivity. A stab of pity pricked at her. Her once strong lover was now reduced to a crying child. She hated this enemy of theirs.

He settled again into a restful slumber. Elena left as she had intended. It took her a few minutes to find the servant on duty who had vacated her post on another errand. It was late in the evening now, and the fortress was quiet. When she finally found someone and they subsequently found some clothing, she returned to her quarters.

When she entered, the pallet lay empty in front of her. She looked about for Maranus, worried he had wandered off in a delirium. She heard a shuffle behind her and spun around just in time to sidestep a fist in the face.

"Maranus, it's me, Elena! You are safe in friendly territory."

She ducked as he lunged again. This time she grabbed his wrist and twisted him around, ending up in back of him with his arm wrenched around uncomfortably behind him. She wouldn't have been able to do this if he was at full strength, but she only needed to hold him long enough to calm him.