Chapter Thirty Six

All morning Liran made lists of all the healers known in Castillon and lists of supplies he would need for them as well. Then he had to check on the treasury to see if he could pay for everything that he needed. After that he went up to the top of the cliffs overlooking the fortress where a small enclave of artisans had their workshops. The smithy where he had once apprenticed as a youth was there and his former Master Zodan from whom he had ordered a large quantity of swords.

He had a meeting scheduled with Joran after that to review the supplies and travel waggons needed should they have to march to Argentia. Joran had a precise and orderly mind, and the task would not be beyond his abilities. Liran considered how different his son was from him. He had showed little talent for maru skills, but he loved the law, books and reading, and spent hours in the library doing research and keeping records. Liran preferred action, or healing. Either would do. It was in these activities that he found the most purpose. The rest was simply obligation.

He was well satisfied with Joran's arrangements, having nothing particular to add, so he then went to the main level of the fortress and out into the courtyard where a number of servants and other organizers accosted him with questions. They followed him into the main dining hall where he managed to eat something, all the while discussing fortress and border security with Captain Sandro. The man had been checked thoroughly for any signs of mental meddling, but he appeared contrite, embarrassed even, that he had behaved so badly, and was making great efforts to help do his part in their endeavours.

Liran finally found a moment for himself. He stood looking over the cliff at the cave where he had spoken with the Guardian Maylani. He watched the last light of the sun glow on the horizon above the ocean. As darkness blanketed the land, he took a moment to reflect the strangest of happenings this day had offered, indeed, of any day in his entire life.

Maylani, Queen of the Guardians had answered his summons intended for Namilda. Maylani was the one who had influenced his parents with dreams of the splendid romance they would have if they could overcome their prejudices of each other's kind. In a way, he owed his life to this Guardian, but now he learned much more. Elena was her daughter. It fit with the aura he had seen of Elena's power. It also fit that she barely showed signs of age and had talents beyond the ordinary. Although she was outwardly Trillas, Elena possessed all the power of the Hilliri, and more. She just didn't know how to use it yet.

Although this one piece of news was enough to consider hugely significant, the other information Maylani brought was even more grave. There were forces on the move that needed to be pushed back and defeated, for the sake of everyone in the world, and she charged her daughter to fight. Elena must feel a huge burden has been laid on her.

The world needed defending against a rogue Guardian that Maylani couldn't handle herself. Not because she didn't have the power, Liran understood that she probably did, or at least, combined with a few other Guardians they might together have been able to overcome him, but because of Maylani, all the Guardians had sworn an oath not to meddle in the lives of the people of the world. It was because of her oath that Maylani refused to participate and do what was needed. Liran wondered at the cowardice the Guardians had shown in refusing to help, leaving lesser beings to look after what should have been their work.

He realized that Elena might be greatly troubled by what she had learned. He wondered if could help, as a friend. She had certainly taken on a great deal to aid him, and he felt loyalty towards her, as well as friendship. He rose to go and see if she wanted to talk with him.

As he made his way down the hall from his rooms to hers on the other end, he saw her exit her apartment and lean against the wall. She looked more worn than he had ever seen her. A flash of light reflected in her eyes showing they were glassy. She hadn't noticed him yet, deep in her own misery. Liran felt a pull at his heart. No one should have to bare such heavy burdens. At least he could make sure she wasn't alone.

"Elena? Are you alright?"

She turned her head slightly away. She breathed deeply and turned back to him with a smile. Her eyes shined only slightly now.

"Yes, in fact, I was just going to look for you. You saved me the trouble." She smoothed out the front of her uniform. Liran kept his voice low and gentle.

"Are you sure you are alright? Under the circumstances you are entitled to be somewhat overwhelmed."

"Oh, I was upset, but it wasn't about this morning. I just found out that a very old and dear friend is missing and likely dead." She waved her hand to dismiss her concern.

Liran remembered why he was here.

"I came to see if you wanted to talk about what happened this morning. But why were looking for me?"

Elena wiped her eyes an sighed.

"I had an intruder in my room tonight. I subdued him, but then it turned out he was just an Imperial Messenger being cautious. I'm afraid he has more bad news of the kind that Maylani brought this morning. I'd like for you to speak with him. He says the Emperor is hoping that we can send some soldiers to help the Empire subdue Argentia. He's afraid that his soldiers will balk at fighting against soldiers who were once on the same side."

This news weighed heavily on Liran.

"I see. Let me talk to him." It seemed that Maylani's foreshadowing was coming true. Elena held out a hand as she opened her door.

"Before you go in there, though, I should inform you that he's Lord Argentia's son."

Liran just let his mouth fall open. It was too incredible. Elena spread her hands in a calming gesture.

"You may find it hard to trust him, but I talked with him at length, and he has done things that are most definitely not in his father's interest. He's also married into my family, so the Emperor must feel he's safe as well. I am satisfied that he can be trusted, but you'll have to decide for yourself."

#

Liran met with Tarion and heard his full account. He added that to what he heard from Maylani, and decided he must do everything he could to help. Elena might have the heaviest burden, but there were others with the power to assist. He offered to send a message to his mother, Queen Liriel in Kalad, for her aid.

"You would do this?" Tarion seemed surprised but pleased with the offer.

"I've come to believe we must do all we can to suppress Lord Argentia's ambitions. I fear, though, that your father might not survive the onslaught."

Tarion shook his head. "The man may look like my father, but there is nothing of the man I knew in this person. I don't know him at all."

Thinking of what Maylani had said, Liran wondered if the Guardian Korr had taken on Argentia's form. Who could say?

"You are probably right. I suggest you go back to your camp and let the Emperor know that we intend to come to his aid with our army, but that we are not very many. If we can, we will bring aid from Kalad as well." He turned to Elena.

"Commander Valeria, how soon can we be ready to march?"

Elena paused for a moment to consider.

"If we send out orders right away for everyone to come, most of them can be here and ready in a week. We can begin our march and leave orders for the stragglers rest to follow as soon as they arrive. We must be sure to leave clear instructions on where to march."

Liran was please that Elena was so precise, so composed, even when plans changed.

"Very well, then. Either we receive word or troops will come from Kalad. If they come, it should take them less than a full week. It will likely take about two weeks for us to march to your location."

Tarion looked relieved. He gave him a deep bow. "On behalf of the Emperor, I thank you. I will leave at once with this news." 

____________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Unsheathed. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca