Chapter 2

"Hoori!" Mikaeel shouted as he banged his fist on the bathroom door. "What happened?"

She didn't reply but he could hear her sobs echoing from inside.

"Answer me!" The door shook heavily beneath his fists as he pounded against them.

"I need your help." It pained her to ask for his help but she had no other choice.

"I'm going to come in, okay?" he called out, praying she was still dressed.

"Okay." Her voice was shaky, punctuated by shivers that wracked through her body

"Hoori." He tried to sound as calm as he possibly could, but the pained yelps from inside began to wear on him. "I need you to tell me where the spare is."

"It's-" her voice was clogged with pain and utter terror at what was happening. "I don't know where it is."

"I'm right here, Hoori. I'll get you out, but you need to help me." He rubbed the bridge of his nose as he waited for her to remember.

"It's-" He heard her yelp once more. "It's in the back of my sock draw."

Mikaeel shuffled hurriedly through her draw, ripping it out when his search produced nothing. He dumped her draw upside down, moving things this way and that till he finally found it. "Listen, I'm coming in. Just give me a minute okay."

"Mikaeel, it's burning me." Her cries were agonising and growing worse by the second.

"Just wait, okay." He fitted the key into the slot, banging it with his palm to push the other key out as he bit his lip to hold in his expletives. He had to shake out his arm before he could open the door, readying himself for any possible outcome.

Except the one he was met with.

Steam billowed around him as he walked closer and closer to the shower. He switched off the water, supressing a gasp as blistering drops splattered over his arms, before he bent down to look at her. She was huddled in the corner of the shower, holding her legs to her chest as she tried to move away from the boiling stream above her. The skin of her legs and sides were bright red, screaming in protest against the abusive heat but her body itself was overcome with shivers that rattled her teeth.

"What happened?"

She lifted her head to look at him, wiping the tears from her eyes though her hands wouldn't stop shaking enough to do so. "I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?" He knelt down before her, trying to look her over for any other injuries. "Did you slip? Did you break anything?"

She shook her head, watching as he reached for the towel hanging on the rack beside him.

"Then?"

"My legs won't move." She looked down, confused at her own words. Her face was lined in panic it as she tried to move her legs away from her body yet they wouldn't budge.

He stared at her, unable to truly comprehend her words, let alone help her through it. "Let's just get you out of here, okay. We need to get you to a hospital."

She nodded her head, waiting for him to wrap her towel over her shoulders.

"How bad are the burns?"

"I don't know. It just hurts all over."

He moved her forward to wrap his arm around her back, tucking the other beneath her knees as he prepared to lift her up. "You're going to have to hold on to me, okay."

"Okay." She joined her hands behind his neck, holding on as he lifted them up from the ground. She pressed herself closer to his body, unconsciously seeking whatever heat he could provide as she tucked her face in the crook of his neck.