Chapter 16

"What are you looking for?" Mikaeel asked after watching her rifle through her bags for almost 10 minutes.

She was still living out of her bags for the past 2 weeks considering there was no place to store her clothes in the lounge.
"For a pair of leggings," she said distractedly as she unzipped her purple suitcase for the third time. He couldn't handle seeing all those clothes and all those bags on his bed. It was frustrating him to watch her throw her clothes all over the place and he was very, very close to yelling at her to just stop.

He left the room and came back without her even noticing.

"Here." He threw a grey pair of leggings at her pile of clothes.

She picked it up, smiling slightly at the fact that he even bought her a pair to match her dress. She shouldn't have been surprised though. He was nothing if not particular about the clothes that he wore. "Thank you."

He waved her away as he walked out the door. "We're late already."

"Oh hey." She followed him slowly out into the passage.

"What?"

"Could you drive my car please? It hasn't been used in over three months and I don't see myself driving anytime soon." She asked warily.

"Where's your keys?"

"Uhm... Upstairs in the draw by the mirror."

He sighed, turning back around without a word.

"Thank you," she said weakly, wincing at his reaction before she slowly made her way out the door.

"Your gear shift is so fucking stiff," he muttered angrily as he shifted into third gear.

"I was supposed to get the car serviced before I got sick." She tried to explain.

"How the fuck were you driving this thing before? I'm surprised you didn't get into a accident with this."

"It was fine when I was driving it." She looked at him, annoyed that he was berating her as if she were a child. "It just hasn't been used in a long time, is all."

"I'm booking a service this week. How long before your service plan expires?"

"By next year." She said, trying to calculate it in her head. She had bought the car when they just moved back to South Africa. That was about 3 years ago and she had a 5 year plan so she was still okay.

He just nodded at her before he switched on her radio.

This love has taken it's-

"The fuck..." he muttered as he shook his head and ripped the USB out of its slot before dropping it onto her lap. She said nothing on the matter. She just stored her USB in the cubbie.

 Best he not know what other things she had playing on her list.

...

"Breathe in for me." Dr. Krenak asked gently as he held the stethoscope to her chest and listened carefully. "Now breathe out."

Hoori was used to this by now. She was sure she had memorised the procedure to a tee but the only thing that threw her off was Mikaeel. She usually came with Aunty Mariam and had her wait outside while she answered all of Dr. Krenaks more embarrassing questions but...

Dr. Krenak was only too happy to usher Mikaeel in as well.

"Breathe in again." He asked, smiling slightly at the way she squirmed as the cold metal was pressed against her back. "I'm sorry." He apologised softly.