Chapter 12

Hoori walked quietly into the kitchen, surprised that Mikaeel didn't hear the soft thuds of her walker against the tiles. His back was towards her as he rested his head against the microwave, waiting impatiently for his milk to be warmed. He had left for the gym before the sun even peaked into their lounge and by the looks of it, had only crawled into their house a few minutes before. His hair was still wet and standing in small spikes and he had probably kicked off his shoes by the front door- a habit of his that she thoroughly detested.

She stopped when she was right behind him and only when he felt her finger lightly trace the ten little crescents on the back of his neck did he incline his head toward her.

"It's not what you think."

"And what do I think?" She asked, still rubbing her fingertip along those little red indents in his neck, causing tiny shivers to course down his back.

"You know what." He said as he caught her hand in his, stilling her movements before he moved it back onto the bar of her walker. "Do you want me to warm up your milk?"

"Please," she said softly before she turned away to towards the kitchen table. It was odd watching him in the kitchen. They had never had breakfast together in the year that they were married except for their honeymoon. He always left for the gym before she woke up and usually opted to order something instead of eat at home. She never understood it but she never minded either. She liked eating her breakfast by herself in the lounge as she watched the morning news- ignoring Mikaeel as he stormed in to take a shower and rush back out for work. Even during the weekends, she would eat her breakfast long before he even considered waking up and had never considered joining him when he did eventually stumble into the kitchen.

So this.

This was a very strange sight and she knew he was doing it for her. He probably knew there was still no way she could balance a huge mug with one hand and manoeuvre her walker with the other. It was still too early and her legs still felt much too similar to jelly to even attempt it. 

All she wanted was to be able to do things for herself again. She was getting frustrated and annoyed and she couldn't handle the fact that someone else had to be there to help her with these silly, mundane activities- even more so considering that someone had to be Mikaeel. She hated having him do things for her. With her aunty and uncle, she never minded but he was a different story. He hated helping people. It was just who he was so for her to have to rely on him to help her with miniscule tasks just had her feeling as if she was annoying him. She knew it wasn't her fault but she couldn't stop those niggly thoughts from plaguing her mind as she watched him stretch for her hot chocolate on the second shelf.

She was so lost in her thoughts that she only realised he had placed a fine, delicate looking cup in front of her when he turned back to the cupboard to look for his coffee.

"Thank you." She said before he could turn around. She figured he would be offended had he seen the awed look on her face as she stared down at her cup.

"I'm not waiting for you to drink spoon by spoon." He waved her gratitude away as he closed the cupboard door softly.

"Still, thank you." She began stirring in her hot chocolate, hoping it wouldn't be too sweet considering she had to guess at the measurements.

Mikaeel just nodded his head, unsure of what to say.

"Could we go shopping today, please?" She asked, once they had settled into their breakfast.

"For?" He asked, mentally smacking himself for forgetting that she couldn't drive at the moment.

"Just shampoo and conditioner."