Chapter 14

"Do I look okay?" She asked him as he parked his car in his parent's garage.

"You look fine," he mumbled, barely even glancing at her through the corner of his eye.

She scratched at the top of her head, still unused to the fact that it only ran till past her shoulders before she nervously tied it back. Perhaps her aunty hadn't straightened it out as well as it could have been and she didn't want to sit under his mother's scrutiny with crooked hair.

"About my aunties," he turned to face her, unable to make out her fidgety behaviour in the darkness of the garage.

"Yes?" She sounded hesitant. Mikaeel's father's family seemed okay but for some reason, the idea of meeting all of his mother's sisters at the same time left her feeling more nervous and out of sorts than she had ever been. Her mother-in-law scared her, in all honesty, and could her sisters really be that different from her?

"They think we didn't invite them to the wedding because they aren't... rich." He searched his mind for a euphemism, but all had escaped him at the thought of his aunties and their petty bullshit. They hadn't believed them when they were told that his father's family wasn't invited either. Frustratingly enough, it just gave them an even bigger reason to start their mind-fucking games.

"Oh." She didn't like the sound of that at all.

"Also, they think I got you pregnant before the wedding. That's why it all happened as quickly as it did."

He could only hear her quick intake of breath, but that was it. He supposed he had stumped her with that specific revelation but she had to know.  Perhaps he could used a little more tact but then again, his aunties had less tact and no filters and she might as well walk in prepared.

"Ya, it's shit. I know."

"Ya..." She agreed, still speechless from what he had said. Was that really the impression they already had of her? They thought she was seeing him and sleeping with him before marriage when that was the furthest thing away from the truth that she could imagine. "But there's no baby so they don't still..."

His pointed silence said it all; they still thought she was sleeping with him before they got married.

Shit.

"So," he sighed. He was not in the mood to step into that house, "Ready?"

"I guess so."

Not really.

But what could she do? She couldn't hide in the car forever, could she?

He stepped out of the car, walking around to the boot to take out her walker and their over-night bag before he stepped up to her door to open it.

Yet she stayed glued to her seat. She was so out of her depth with this one. "You sure I look okay?" She smoothed down the material of her black full length skirt before she took his proffered hand and allowed him to help her up.

"You look fine." He gave her a quick look-over in the barely lit garage.

" Okay," She hesitantly put her hand over the bars of her walker before she followed him out of the garage and into the house...

...

"Is this Hooriya?" A plump older lady stood before her, appraising her from head to toe as if she were a piece in an art gallery. She surveyed her outfit carefully, her eyes lingering on Hoori's flats peeking out from under the bottom of her skirt before she glanced back up to look at her face. She cocked her eyebrow quizzically as she looked back down again.