Chapter 33

Mikaeel hated answering the phone while he was driving but whoever it was, was persistent as hell and the constant ringing was beginning to get on his nerves.

"Hello?"

"Hey man."

"Ya Is'haaq?" He skipped the pleasantries.

"Uhm," Is'haaq was hoping to drag out the conversation for as long as possible, "The thing is..."

"Uh huh." Mikaeel stopped at the robot, closing his windows as soon as he could before anyone came to beg by him.

"Ihsaan is in deep fuck... basically." He answered uncertainly.

"Why?"

"He was out last night with Zameer and his friends."

"How would you know?"

"I saw them. Farah wanted to see the Parlotones at Blues so we went and they were there."

"Oh." His grip tightened around his steering wheel at the idea of Ihsaan hanging out with his cousin.

"He was fucked up, boss." He knew what he saw and what he saw scared the shit out of him.

"Fine."

Mikaeel cut the call and turned on his indicators.

 His class could wait.

...

He was assaulted with the smell of stale piss as soon as he walked into Ihsaan's flat. It was stuffy and it smelt as if his flat hadn't tasted fresh air in months. He walked slowly through the house looking through every room for him before opening the door to his bedroom as slowly as possible, holding his breath as he walked in. The pungent odour of piss, vomit and beer hit him all at once was enough to make his eyes tear up. He walked up to the bundle beneath the duvet, lowering it enough to expose Ihsaan's face to the chilly air of the room. "Get up."

"What?"

The fuck. Who the fuck was that?

"Who the fuck are you?" She asked, lifting the covers off her body before raising herself to rest against her pillows. She looked like a fucking scrawny, washed out dog with her ratty hair and all that bullshit smudged over her face. She didn't even care that she was stark naked before Mikaeel as she reached for her box of cigarettes on the pedestal beside her, lighting up as she waited for Mikaeel to reply.

"Who the fuck are you? Get out." Mikaeel stared at her, vexed at her attitude.

"I'm his girlfriend, asshole."

Keep dreaming, bitch.

"Ya... fuck off." She had a fucking hope of snowballs if she thought he would believe her. "I'm waiting. Go." He watched as she rose from the bed, searching for her panties in the haphazard pile of clothes beside the bed. She muttered obscenities beneath her breath, balancing her cigarette between her lips until finally she found what she was looking for.

Where the fuck did he find this tarties bitch?

She was still talking to herself as she dragged her panties lazily up her legs before bending down again to look for her bra. She had turned her back on him, sending Ihsaan's clothes flying in all directions before she stood up with her bra in her hands. She was pale and her skin was stretched so tightly over her bones, Mikaeel was sure it would tear right off. She rubbed her hands distractedly over the dark blue bruises along her hips as she surveyed the floor for her jeans but her eyes were still glued shut with sleep and the task seemed harder than it should have been.