Chapter 3

"What are you doing, Mickey Mouse?" Mikaeel jerked in his seat as he felt cold lips on his cheeks.

"Hi Ilhaam." He greeted his older sister without bothering to turn around.

"HI. What are you doing?" she asked once more.

"What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Studying for next week?" Ilhaam took the seat across from him.

He hummed in acknowledgement. "Where's your kids?" He asked, capping his highlighter as he began writing notes along the margins of his textbook.

"They're coming up with Mum." She relaxed back into the seat as if she were in her own lounge. "Their reports came out today."

"Nice."

"How's Hoori?"

"I don't know." He shrugged. "The doctors want to do more tests tomorrow."

"And you're out here studying." She glanced sceptically at his books. "Is the test that big of a deal?"

Mikaeel glowered at her, knowing she knew the answer well enough.

"Sorry." She held up her hands in surrender. "But seriously, why aren't you there?"

"Because her uncle is with her."

"The one who own the Chrysler garage?" She bit the tip of her car key thoughtfully.

"Sies man, don't do that." He grimaced at her foul habit. "And ya, the same one."

"I've been looking for a new car..." She hinted.

"Don't ask me to talk to him. Do your own dirty work." He brushed her bullshit hints away as he started sketching along the bottom corner of his textbook.

"Jurre, can't even do me a favour."

"No." he sighed, exhausted of her presence. "I'm busy, Ilhaam. Either go and talk to Hoori or go home."

"Don't be rude, Mikaeel!" She snapped at him.

"Sorry." Not really.

"Uncle Mickey!" A delighted little voice boomed through the room.

"Yes, Imaad?" Mikaeel shifted back in his seat in order to make space for the 4 year old that had settled onto his lap.

"Mummy says you're going to work in the zoo one day." Imaad asked, trailing his fingers over Mikaeel's notes. "Is it true?"

Bitch.

At least Ilhaam had the decency to look embarrassed.

"I get so much of practice at your house that it just seemed like the best idea." He replied dryly.

"You're funny!" Imaad didn't know how to reply to the snippy come-back but he didn't really care. The possibility of having an uncle that worked at the zoo just seemed to boggle his mind.

"Isn't it? Now tell me, what did you buy?"

"Nothing." Imaad looked down sadly. "Ma only bought a chocolate for Burhaan."

"Why?" Mikaeel asked.

"Because Burhaan earned it. He got the highest average between him and his sister." Another voice answered from behind him.

"Oh."

"I'm sure you remember that." His mother bent down to kiss the side of Mikaeel's forehead.

"Sure," he replied disdainfully before he started packing his books away. "Imaad, want to find your brother and sister and go for a walk?" He needed to be away from his mother and his bitch sister. He couldn't be around them for any longer.