Chapter 38

Fuck. You can't die. You can't die. I'm so fucking sorry. I'm so sorry Mickey...

... We've sedated him and given him morphine for pain but there's not much else we can do.

Why didn't you just let me stab him, huh? I wouldn't give a fuck if he died, but you? You can't die man. I'm so sorry.

I know you're worried Mrs. Ebrahim but...

Shh Hooriya. The paramedics are on their way. I'll let you know what hospital to go to when they leave but... God, I'm so sorry.

Come on boy. Your Mum will go crazy if something happens to you.

Don't worry son. Riyaadh told us to look after you and you know how much we like the lightie... We'll take good care of you but you have to just stay with us...

I only just got you Mika. It's only been a few weeks but you can't leave me now. I want you for a lot longer than a few weeks. God, I was so worried when I got the call. I almost dropped my phone...

You'll have to take Coleraine. We can't wait for those bastards to open up the roads again. Shit, he punctured something. This kid is bleeding out.

Aunty Mariam thought something happened to my Dad when I just got the call. I swear I don't even know how I knew which hospital to come to. I barely even heard Is'haaq on the phone while he was talking.

What took you guys so long?

Those assholes were holding a roadblock. Traffic was backed up.

On a Sunday? Bastards. Anyway, Krenak Jr is waiting for him....

You won't believe how worried Sarafina is. She told me to tell you that her Church sisters are praying for you. But God, Mika. Please don't leave me. Don't be like Jannat. Please...

... Huh uh, stop. He's going into shock. We need to get his...

It's been almost 8 hours and you haven't even woken up yet. I was thinking we haven't even gone our honeymoon yet. I mean we went to Amsterdam when we just got married but... I didn't actually want to be there with you. I was bored out of my mind for that one week. We need to go on a proper honeymoon this time. Maybe we could go to Mauritius or we could go to Cape Town or Knysna.

Knysna sounds kind of good actually. I've never been there then we can go overseas when I can walk properly...

Stitch him up Ben. There's nothing else you can do right now.

Just imagine it. Alone and away from everyone. I know you're dying for that to happen. But it would be fun. We could do that...

... To his wife. She's waiting by the couches with the walking stick.

God, you haven't seen the honeymoon nighties yet Mika. They make me blush just looking at them. My cousin has mortifying taste really. I might as well just be walking around naked. I found them while I was cleaning our cupboards upstairs. But I think you'd like them. They... oh wait, I definitely have to whisper this one....

Come on Mr. Ebrahim. My Dad seems to think you're something special so you had better wake up and prove me wrong.

Uncle Ashraf told me that he told you he would break your kneecaps if he ever had to pick you up from there again but I don't know. He skipped 4 robots just getting me here this morning. He was so worried Mika. He thought you were going to be like Jannat too.