Chapter 32

"Hooriya, right?"

She looked up at the tall man before her, smiling politely as she nodded her head. "And you're Mikaeel?"

"Ya." He sat down from across her, looking around at the frames covering the restaurant walls. "Are you ordering anything?"

"Just a milkshake. I'm not really very hungry." She said, glancing down at the menu on the table before she looked back up at him. "You?"

"Just water."

"Oh."

Neither knew what they were doing at that restaurant just then. And Hoori really didn't know why this... guy across from her even bothered at all. Their table had descended into complete silence until the thud of glass against wood could be heard as the waiter placed their orders on the table.

"So," Mikaeel asked somewhat grudgingly. "What do you do?"

"Uhm... I watch a lot of tv." She said, cringing at her answer. But it was the truth. She reddened even further at the condescending look on his face as he regarded her answer. "And what about you?"

"I'm a lab tech."

"Oh. And what do you do exactly?"

"I scan blood samples." He replied shortly, not in the mood to go into details just then.

"For?"

"Diseases."

"That's fascinating." Even she didn't believe her words just then. She tried to drink her milkshake as fast as possible without seeming rude as the conversation dwindled into nothing once again.

"I'm done." Mikaeel downed the last of his water before looking pointedly at her glass.

"Ya so am I." She gulped down almost a quarter of her glass praying she didn't get brain freeze from its contents as he signalled the waiter for the bill.

"Nice meeting you," he said, scoffing at his own words.

"Sure, you too." She watched him place a R50 rand note in the black leather case before he turned around and walked away.

If she had met anyone ruder than him, it would be a God damned miracle.

She opened her eyes, somewhat annoyed at the pigeons cooing right outside their window. She was almost convinced they had nest on the roof considering they could be heard going on for themselves at all hours of the night and she really, really did not want to listen to them make a noise right now. She shuffled further beneath the beneath the blankets trying hard to block out the noise before accidentally knocking Mikaeel's shoulder as she moved.

"What..." He opened his eyes blearily, blinking as bright sunlight streamed through the gap in the curtains half blinding him in his sleepy state. "Those fucking birds." He mumbled moodily as he turned over to rest on his stomach before making contact with Hoori's arm.

When did she get so close?

"You'll push me off the bed just now." He could hear her voice from beneath the covers before she pulled them down to look at him. He looked behind him, confused at her words before he noticed the wide, empty space on his side of the bed.

He moved just a little backwards, giving her a little more space to sleep. "Sorry."

"It's fine." She finally opened her eyes fully, smiling slightly at him before she realised just how brightly lit their room really was. "What time do you leave for work?"