Chapter 11

"I'm so tired of your bullshit."

"I know," Ihsaan yawned, his breath reeked of vodka, causing Mikaeel's nose to curl.

"You know jack." Mikaeel muttered, switching on the air purifier to rid his car of the stench. The  action wasn't lost on Ihsaan as he tried flipping the switch, earning him a cuff to the ear. "Stop it."

They drove in relative silence, punctuated only by Dahlia's soft snored from the back seat. Joburg Town looked almost clean from the highway. Its bright lights and massive billboards captured Ihsaan's attention fully, leaving Mikaeel to drive in peace over a freshly tarred road. 

"What now?" Mikaeel asked as Ihsaan sat up straight in his seat, tapping his fingers on the dashboard.

"I need to take a piss. You need to pull over." Ihsaan said, shifting in his seat.

"It's 3 in the morning, I'm not pulling over." Mikaeel said, switching to 5th gear, hitting the accelerator instead.

"Pull over or I'll piss all over your seats." Ihsaan threatened.

"Fucking..." Mikaeel bit his tongue as he coasted to a stop, switching on his hazards. Ihsaan barely waited for him to stop before he bounded out the car, making his way to the cement barrier on the side of the highway. 

Mikaeel hardly recognised this version of his friend. It wasn't the first time he had picked Ihsaan up after a bender but it was the first time he took a double take just to make sure it was him. Ihsaan was dripping sweat, his clothes clinging to his body as he struggled to keep his arm around Dahlia. His voice was high pitched as he sang his own rendition of whatever shit was playing inside the bar  and he was stinking so badly that Mikaeel had a hard time dragging him into the front seat.

Now this. Mikaeel looked over at him, shaking his head as Ihsaan tried to paint spirals onto the barrier with his piss.

Ihsaan turned around, zipping up his jeans as he did so. The bastard didn't even realise that he had a wet patch on his crotch. "Don't touch anything." Mikaeel said as he reached over to open Ihsaan's door.

"Ah, man." Ihsaan made to touch his arm.

"Don't fucking touch me with your piss hands." Mikaeel said it slowly and deliberately, trying very hard not to completely lose it with him.

"Sorry." Ihsaan tucked both his hands under his armpits before he turned around to look at his wife. "Dahlia, you awake?" He crooned, poking her sides as if to wake her up.

"What did she take?"

"Huh?" Ihsaan looked back at Mikaeel but was distracted by the buttons on the radio. "I like these..."

"Don't touch." Mikaeel slapped his wrist as if he was a small child. "What did Dahlia take? She's not just drunk."

"I don't know." He scrunched up his face like an ugly ferret as he tried to concentrate. "She took..." He rubbed his nose. "I don't know."

"This needs to stop" Mikaeel bit out. He was so tired of this shit. "I have to be at work in 4 hours."

"I'm sorry." He made to pat Mikaeel's cheek.

"I will break your hand." Mikaeel caught Ihsaan's wrist in his, wrenching it away from him.

"Sorry. Are we there yet?"

"Ya, we're almost there." Mikaeel turned the corner and almost cried when he saw Ihsaan's townhouse complex. "Don't touch anything." He warned again.

"Not touching." Ihsaan grumbled, tucking his hands under his armpits once more.

Mikaeel slammed his door closed before he walked around the car to Dahlia's side, cringing at the outfit she was wearing. She was never like this either. Her legs were splayed across the seat, allowing him an unwanted view of her panties as she snored happily on the hard seats. He pulled the hem of her dress down, trying to cover up her thighs as he moved her legs to one side. This wasn't right. He shouldn't be used to carrying his friend's wife out of the back seat of his car. "Come on Dahlia." He said softly, gently, as he leaned in to the car, bracing his knee on the seat as he lifted her into his arms.