Twelve

A few weeks had passed and winter was now definitely here. Thick sheets of ice and snow covered the ground and although it looked beautiful, it was so much easier just to stay inside the warm castle, in front of a warm fire.

The twins, however, didn't share that opinion and more than once, they had dragged you outside, to help them enchant snowballs. You always ended up having fun, though, even if it was freezing.

***

One day, you were sitting in the Gryffindor common room, playing a game of Wizard's Chess, with Hermione, whilst Ron tried to give you both advice. You watched Hermione frown, as your king smashed another of her bishops. That left you free to checkmate, and you did so, triumphantly. They both congratulated you, then Hermione returned to a piece of parchment and Ron subtly moved closer to her, as she was frantically writing. You held back a laugh, knowing they'd be the perfect couple. Hopefully, they could realise that, some day soon.

As you were packing the game away, Fred barged in and you knew he had been outside. "Cold, huh?" You giggled. "Nah, not really, I was actually searching for you. Want to come and join us?" He replied. "Sure, why not? I'll just grab my coat, then we'll go." You beamed, already running up the stairs that led to the girl's dorms. You were delighted that he asked you.

When you came back down, Ron was sitting in a different chair, trying to conceal a grin. He shared a look with Hermione, who had stopped writing. "Where'd Fred go?" You asked, not seeing him anywhere. Ron just shrugged in response. You sighed in disappointment and went to the portrait hole, deciding to head outside anyway. Maybe you'd find him and George out there.

Before you knew what was happening, a pair of strong arms grabbed you and you were flung over someone's shoulder. You could hear the laugh you knew so well and you joined in, knowing you were safe with Fred. "Don't do anything crazy, or dangerous, you two." Hermione said, a small smile on her face. "I promise. I'll always protect her." Fred replied, confidently. You felt yourself blush and buried your face in your hands, still on Fred's shoulder.

Fred left the common room and ran down the empty corridor, making you squeal. He turned a corner and you heard a familiar, cold laugh. "Malfoy." Fred said, putting you down. You smoothed out your coat, feeling Malfoy's harsh glare scrutinise you.
"Isn't this interesting?" He sneered, glancing at his two goons, who let out over exaggerated laughs. "We're not even doing anything wrong, Malfoy. And besides, you have no power over us." You protested. "That's a matter of opinion. Personally, I would consider touching a filthy Mudblood, like you, a serious crime." He smirked. "Don't you dare call her that!" Fred shouted, stepping forwards, wand raised. "Fred, they're not worth it. Let's just go." You said, placing a hand on his arm. "Yes, Weasley. Listen to your Mudblood girlfriend." Malfoy drawled, walking away.

After he'd gone, Fred turned to you. "Are you okay, Y/N/N?" He asked. "Yeah, it's something I've had to learn to deal with. I hear it all the time." You admitted, suddenly very interested in the floor. "But you shouldn't have to. You're so much better than that disgusting word. You're the brightest witch in our year, kind, caring and I'm so bloody proud to be one of your best friends." Fred argued. "Thank you, Freddie, it really means a lot." You smiled. You stood on tiptoes and wrapped your arms around him, feeling him hug you back. You reluctantly let go and you returned to your original plan of going outside.

***

A couple of hours later, you and Fred finally went back into the castle. George and Alicia had gone on ahead, leaving the two of you to run around in the snow. But now you were very cold.

"It's freezing!" Fred whined, rubbing his hands together. "Y/N/N, my hands are cold, especially this one, will you hold them?" Fred asked, grinning mischievously, holding out his hand. Blushing like crazy, you grabbed his hand and held it. You resisted looking into Fred's eyes, not trusting yourself not to give away your feelings.

"You know what else would warm us up, Y/N/N?" Fred said, randomly. He still held your hand, not that you minded at all. "And what would that be, Freddie?" You asked, slightly puzzled. "Food from the kitchens!" Fred cheered, running down the corridor. You ran behind him, having no other choice, as he was still holding your hand.

***

A/N: This is the last of the pre written chapters, so updates will take longer now.

I got a message from a girl I know in real life, in a group chat with two others, and she was asking for help and advice about her boy troubles. She wants to meet up or something to talk about it and I want to help, but I have my own boy troubles. What should I do?