Chapter Twenty-Three: David's Surprise

Hi y'all,

Sorry for the late update. I've been experiencing a writer's block and was kind of stuck on how I wanted for this chapter to go. I would love to hear any suggestions or ideas that you guys have so that I can make this book more entertaining to you. Plus would you guys prefer for me to update short chapters frequently or longer chapters in a longer amount of time? 

Enjoy :)

Evangeline's POV

My heart was pounding erratically. Why would he bring me here and how did he know where it was? I don't know whether I should be angry with him or glad that he brought me here. I wanted to see the children so badly and hug each of them.

"Why did you bring me here?" I turned to him and stared straight through his eyes.

"I wanted to show you something. Please don't get angry with me now. I would never bring you here to cause you harm or to make you sad"

He reached across and grabbed my hand as a way to comfort me.

"I've been working on something for a while and this is it. I though that this would be the best time to show you. Please don't run away for or hate me. Just listen and come see for yourself then you can hate me." He said with a hopeful and sad tone.

"O-okay"

"Now do you trust me Angel?"

"Of course David. I trust you with all my heart"

I gave him the best smile I could muster and nodded at him that I was ready for him to show me what he has been hiding from me.

"Okay let's go then" He got out of the car and came to my side.

He held out his hand and I took it. I got out and was finally standing in front of the orphanage once again. It's been a while and all the memories that I've had here came rushing back like a tidal wave.

I didn't know that I was crying until David wiped my tears and pulled me into a hug.

"Shhh Angel please don't cry. I know it's hard being back here but I promise you that you'll be happy in a bit. Now dry those tears because I have some people who are very excited to see you"

I wiped my tears and exhaled.

"Come on Angel"

We held hands and walked to the door. David opened it and all a sudden a dozen of kids were hugging me. I was shocked and paralyzed for a second. After snapping out I came to my senses and recognized all the little ones who have grown so big.

"Evie! Evangeline!" I heard in choruses.

"Hey guys. I missed you all so so much. Oh look at all of you, you're all so grown up. I'm so proud of you guys"

I hugged each and every one of them and kissed them on their cheeks and foreheads. There were at least twenty of them. Then I turned to David and smiled at him. I rushed to him and gave him the biggest hug I had ever given.

"Thank you so so much"

"Your welcome Angel. I'd do anything to make you happy and to see that beautiful smile of yours"

"B-but where's Mrs. Rancid?"

"I took care of that problem and now she's gone for good. Here I think this belongs to you now"

He took out a set of keys and handed it to me. I took it and looked at the key. I gave him a confused look.

"What are these for"

"They are for you Angel. You are the owner of this orphanage now. I knew that you would like it and plus I know that these children need you more than anything. We can also start renovating this place whenever you want"

"I-I don't know what to say. Words can't express how much I feel. Look I'm already crying like a baby because of these pregnancy hormones" I sniffed and wiped my eyes.

"Shhh just let it all out Angel. I'm here for you. You can finally be truly happy now" He hugged me and I took that opportunity to seize his lips.

"Eww! Cooties! Cooties!" I heard all the kids yell out.

I blushed in hid in David's chest while he laughed and teased the kids more by showing more affection towards me.

"Okay stop David I think we've scared them"

"Nonsense. I'm just showing them how much I love you and our babies. Right kids?"

"YES! NO!" They all said at the same time

"EVIE EVIE! That nice man said that you're gonna have some babies?" A girl with pigtails named Lia piped up excitedly.

"Yes I am. I'm having a boy and a girl. And this man here is my husband. His name is David"

"I can't wait till they will be here. You'e going to be the best mommy in the world"

"Thank you that's very nice of you to say. Now what should we do today? I miss you all so much to lets celebrate"

"Yay! YES!" They all chorused.

"Are you guys hungry? When did you all eat?"

"We ate yesterday for dinner" Lia said.

"Well that is a big problem. I'll cook for you all. What would you guys like"

All the kids had their thinking faces on then at the same time a smile lit up on all their faces.

"Mac and cheese and chocolate cake"

All of them were jumping up and down.

"Okay guys calm down. Now how about you guys show David around while I go make us all some lunch?"

They all nodded and dragged David out. I laughed at his surprised expression since he was literally bombarded and pushed by kids. He gave me a wink and I giggled. Gosh I love that man so much.

I walked to the kitchen and everything looked the same as it was when I was still here. I looked for the ingredients and was glad that I had everything. I started boiling some water for the noodles and placed all the ingredients into a bowl for the cake.

"Hello dear, would you like some help"

I jumped and turned around with my hand placed above my heart. There was a woman who appeared to be in her late fifties. She had short blonde hair and brown doe eyes that gave her a warm and motherly aura.

"You scared me. I would love your help but if you don't mind who are you?"

"I'm Nina or you can call me Gammy. Your handsome husband hired me to look after the kids. So here I am replacing Mrs. Rancid's position. I promise you that I will take care of those children. The way they were treated before sickens me and I would never want them to experience that again. Plus I love children since I can't have children of my own" She says with a slight frown.

I walked up to her and gave a hug.

"Thank you so so much. You seem like the perfect person. I'm sorry that you can't have any children but I bet that to those kids out there, you're like their mother now. Although we just met I have a feeling we're going to be really close to each other Nina"

"Oh thank you dear, that really made my day. Please call me Gammy."

"Ok Ni... I mean Gammy"

"So let's get cooking shall we? I bet those kids are hungry"

I nodded and we got to work. We laughed and joked around while cooking. It was really fun spending some time with Gammy. I was glad that I had someone like her in my life now. She was also like another mother to me besides Anne. I bet Anne and Gammy would be great friends. 

We served lunch and David and I spent the rest of the day there until it was time to go home. Today was probably also one of the best days of my life and it was all thanks to my wonderful and amazing husband.