13: Scarlett

We all walked to the old abandoned building, where we had faced Benjamin last time. I was walking alongside Alexa, who was very nervous for Max. All the parents had come, except for aunt Tessa, who said she would stay home to take care of Paris.

"It's okay Lex, we're going to kick Benjamin's ass." I said to her.

She only gave me a weak smile. I looked forward again, staring at the back of Will's head. I blushed a bit, ugh I think I had really fallen for him. He was sweet, and funny, and very attractive. I looked over to my right, to see Blake walking and talking to aunt Helen. I still loved him, and I wasn't sure why. He was the biggest player, but he was my first love.

I looked away from Blake, and looked down at my feet. Ten minutes later, as had reached the abandoned building. My father broke down one of the doors, and we all quietly followed him inside. We walked up the stairs, and to the room we had all stood in a week ago.

This time it was worse. There were dead bodies, completely drained of blood all over. Some were missing an arm or their heads even. There was blood everywhere. All over the walls, and on the floor. The room smelled like decay and blood, and I gagged.

"By the Angel, someone ought to give this place a health inspection." Logan muttered.

"Not up to your standards, Herondale?" A cool voice said from the darkness.

We all readied our weapons, and Benjamin stepped out from the darkness. He had blood all over his clothes, and was grinning at us amusedly.

"Where's my brother?" Alexa demanded fiercely.

"Relax, he's fine." Benjamin then smirked. "For now, at least."

"I swear to the angel if you touch him--" Uncle Simon started angrily.

"I already have hurt him." Benjamin said flatly. "Sorry to burst your bubble."

"What do you want with us?" My mother said through gritted teeth.

"Clarissa Fairchild," Benjamin started amusedly. "Valentine's Daughter, or should I say the monster's daughter? Sorry about your brother, by the way."

My mother seethed, and gripped her sword tighter. I glared at him fiercely, I wanted to hit him in the face.

"I can't imagine how it must feel, to feel the guilt of killing your own brother, let alone your own father. The guilt must eat you alive, doesn't it?" He said. "Realizing that you are just as big as a monster as they were, you--"

Suddenly, aunt Isabelle's whip flew out and coiled around Benjamin's throat, and she pulled it tight.

"Don't you dare talk to her like that." Aunt Isabelle said through gritted teeth.

"You--won't--know where--your son-is-if you-kill--me." Benjamin choked out, the whip tight around his throat.

Isabelle sighed, and took the whip away from his throat. Benjamin rubbed his neck.

"What do you want from us?" Uncle Jem demanded.

"Well let's see," Benjamin started. "Clary Fairchild, Jace Herondale, Isabelle Lightwood, Simon Lewis, and Jem Carstairs the heroes of the shadow world. All valuable. That makes your children valuable too."

"I don't get it." Logan said.

"Isn't it obvious?" Benjamin's eyes glittered. "You all make the perfect hostages."

Just as he said it, the door we came through slammed shut, and a dozen werewolf-vampires appeared out of the darkness.

"Shed all your weapons." Benjamin said.

"What? No way--" Alexa started.

"Do it or your brother dies." He said.

We all then begrudgingly threw all of our weapons to the floor. They then came to search, Benjamin telling us that if we resisted he'd kill Max. Once we were all 'clear' they tied all of our wrists, and lead us to a different room. It was small, and in the corner Max sat, duct tape on his mouth his wrists bound. His eyes were closed and there was blood on his neck. I froze. They had drank his blood.

"Max!" Alexa shouted and ran over to him.

We all followed, and the door slammed and locked behind us. We all knelt down beside Max.

"They bit him." Austin said, frantically.

"He's still breathing." Will said. "He should wake up in a bit."

We all sighed, and sat down. My mother and father were speaking to aunt Izzy, uncle Simon, and uncle Jem worriedly. Logan and Austin were murmuring to each other, and Alexa and Charlotte were watching Max worriedly. Will and I sat beside each other silently.

"When do you think we'll get out of here?" I asked.

"Hopefully soon. My mother will notice that we've been gone for awhile." Will said.

I watched him as he brushed his black hair out of his stormy gray eyes. I sighed a bit, he was so attractive. I looked over to Blake. He was already looking at me, and I couldn't look away from him. His brown eyes seemed to be shining, and I felt my heart melt. I snapped out of my trance and looked away, blushing.

How wasn't I over him? He had basically cheated on me but yet I still loved him. Was there something wrong with me? I sighed to myself. To my surprise, Blake walked over and took a seat beside me. I looked at him, hardly, but he seemed oblivious to my expression.

"Well, this was a fail." He said.

"No, we got Max at least." I said.

"That's true." He said. "By the angel, those things smell." He scrunched up his nose.

I giggled a bit, and Blake grinned at me.

"You know, you looked really nice tonight." He said.

I blushed. "Thanks."

He looked at me for a moment and then sighed. "Listen, Scarlett, I--"

"Can I speak with you?" My mother was suddenly in front of us, looking at me.

"Sure." I said and stood up and followed her.

I looked behind me, and saw Blake watching me. I couldn't help but wonder what he had been going to say.