4.

We returned home in silence everyone quickly retreating to their rooms the minute we hit the threshold. I walked slowly to my room alone. My heavy footsteps sounding through the halls creating an eerie echo. I couldn't even begin to explain all the things running through my mind right now.

Nights like this I began to miss my old life, my normal life. The life where I got toys for Christmas instead of knifes, the life were I went out and had fun instead of spending my days slaying demons.

Though no matter how hard I wished to go back that life was gone, it had shrivelled up and died along with my parents. That night would no doubt haunt me forever, the sight of the dead bodies forever etched into my mind.

Everything happened so fast after that it a daze like state I called the number my parents had forced me to memorize in case of emergencies. Within the hour at least a dozen shadow hunters were on my doorstep.

I was hauled away to the institute soon after and given the whole welcome to the shadow world speech. Of course I knew most of it, my parents hadn't left me completely in the dark.

Though they had decided they didn't want me anywhere near my fellow nephilim but not only two years here I was covered in demon blood surrounded by them.

Finally after a painstakingly long walk I reached my door. I reached for the doorknob but let my hand fall short by a few inches. I knew full well I wasn't going to get even the littlest bit of sleep after a night like this, so why bother.

I turn around deciding on a change of course hurrying up the flight of stairs at the end of the hall. At the top of the stairs is a large window with another flight of stairs flowing up off to the left. I detach the latch pushing the window off its hinges creating a small gap between the wall and the glass.

I climb out onto the roof which is flat in this specific spot. Beside the window hangs up rope that leads up to the top of the green house. I clambered up it reaching the top and carefully leaping across the glass roof. Finally i climb up a pipe to the highest point of the roof.

To me the climb was easy i could do it with my eyes closed. I'd been coming up since jace showed it to me a little over a year ago.

It had taken all of them a long time to bond with me, but jace was quicker than than the rest. I guess he related to the whole dead parents, foreign place thing as morbid as that is.

Once we clicked we spent a lot of time together, soon Alec and izzy warmed up to me as well. So one day jace forced me to follow him up here and i almost died in the process might i add. Though it was worth the view was beautiful.

Now its just become tradition that i come out here every time i need to think, tonight was no exception. I dangled my feet over the edge taking in the skyline. I took deep breaths ever now and then eyes fluttering from one building to the next taking in every little detail.

This was my life now and i wasn't quite sure how i felt about that. Sure it had its good parts but sometimes i started to wonder if i was made for this life. Yes i could do it physically but mentally i silently went mad. I still cant believe how quickly my life changed. Though it was too late to back out now i was a shadow hunter now and i couldn't run away from that.

▹▹▹

Eventually i went back to my room and went out like a light. When i woke up the sun had well and truly risen. The clock chimed confirming my suspicions of it being at least midday. When i went downstairs i found Alec and izzy training in the armoury.

I was surprised to find jace missing. He wasn't one to miss out on a chance to handle sharp pointing things and jab them at people, especially me. Izzy pull her out and sat down on a weapons table. I decided to ask about jace's disappearance since i seemed to be the only one concerned.