17.

When we got home Hodge was enraged, he'd been waiting in the foyer when we all limped in filthy and covered in blood. He immediately launched into a long winded lecture about how stupid we had been, about lying to him and how we would not been trusted again.

"Not to throw anyone under the bus, but Jace was the only one who lied." I added and Hodge's eyes narrowed so quickly i flinched back slightly.

"You broke the law, Annalina." He hissed out. "You disgraced your name and the Clave." He then turned onto Jace. "You've endangered other people with your wilfulness. This is one incident I will not allow you to shrug off!"

"I wasn't planning to," Jace replied smugly. "I can't shrug anything off. My shoulder's dislocated."

"How unfortunate." I mused, sending him a grin he returned easily.

"If only I thought physical pain was actually a deterrent for you," Hodge says with grim fury. "But you'll just spend the next few days in the infirmary with Alec and Isabelle fussing around you. You'll probably even enjoy it."

"That he would." I laugh before groaning from the bruises i'd managed to upset in the process.

"Just go to the infirmary would you?" Hodge huffed out.

"Well i don't mind if i do." I reply. "Since you've asked so nicely."

▹▹▹

Jace, Simon and Me all ended up retiring to the infirmary. Isabelle of course fussed over the lot of us, while Alec mostly just moped about how. Honestly it was rather annoyed i wished he stopped, izzy too i could only handle so much cooing. It seemed Clary had made full use of her human shield and was good as new as she came into the room a couple of hours later.

Alec sat on top of the windowsill and scowled at the sight of her. "Oh. It's you."

She ignored him. "Hodge says he's on his way and he hopes you can both manage to cling to your flickering sparks of life until he gets here," She told us. "Or something like that."

I laughed. "Good to see he's still  got his remarkable sense of humour."

"I wish he'd hurry," Jace said crossly.

"Why? Does it hurt?" Clary asked.

"He's just acting like a baby." I complained.

"I actually have a high pain threshold. In fact, it's less of a threshold and more of a large and tastefully decorated foyer. But i do get easily bored." He rambled on, squinting at Clary. "Do you remember back at the hotel when you promised that if we lived, you'd get dressed up in a nurse's outfit and give me a sponge bath?"

"If you don't shut up i'm going to strangle you." I said disgusted. "You can't even walk properly, but your still trying to hit on everything that does."

"Actually, i think you misheard," Clary piped up. "It was Simon who promised you the sponge bath."

Jace looked over at Simon involuntarily, who smiled at him widely. "As soon as I'm back on mu feet, handsome."

"I knew we should have left you a rat." Jace replied.

Clary replied before turning her attention to Simon. They fell into a quiet conversation, as best friends do.