23.

Valentine's rage grew as Clary went on, he apparently couldn't stand reliving the monstrosities he had committed. "That's enough!" He roared raising his black sword at Clary once again. "Jonathan! Drag your sister out of my way, or by the Angel. I'll knock her down to kill the monster she's protecting!"

For a split second he hesitated at the thought of what his father was ordering him to do. Then he snapped out of it. "Certainly, Father." He said crossing the room to pull Clary away roughly by the arm.

"Jace," Clary whispered appalled.

"Don't," He said, digging his fingers painfully hard into her arm. "Don't talk to him."

She stumbled around like a rag doll against his grip looking over to where Valentine stood over Luke's crumpled body. He shoved Luke with his boot, who let out a groan in reply.

"Leave him alone!" Clary shouted, desperately trying to break free of Jace's grip.

While he tried to reason with Clary he sent me a pointed look. Right now i was frozen in shock, but that would soon wear off. He knew all too well that he could not possibly restrain me and Clary at the same time. If i was him i would of restrained me i was far more of a threat, but no one ever said he was the smartest shadowhunter.

Valentine chuckled from the other side of the room, the sound breaking me from my daydream. "If only i had thought," Valentine continued to taunt. "to bring with me a blade of real silver, i could have dispatched of you in the true manner of your kind, Lucian."

"Well it seems like this time your out of luck." I called out before launching myself at Valentine for the second time tonight.

This time the battle was evenly matched, his surprise left him unguarded as i attacked. Metal met flesh sending blood flying into the air. Despite the pain Valentine spun round to meet my second blow effortlessly. Then it began as we danced across the floor swords flashing, smell of blood heavy in the air.

Clary winced as she watched on. "Why are you letting this happen? Why are you lying to yourself?"

"I'm not lying!" Jace gasped back refusing to look at the fight happening before him. "I just want what's good in my life—my father—my family—I can't lose it all again."

"Your already have a family," Clary said. "She is your family like Luke is mine." She pleaded with him desperate. "She has cared for you far more than he ever has, are you really willingly to sit back and watch her die."

Then i screamed as Valentine landed a blow across my stomach, blood pouring out staining my shirt in seconds. I tried to go on but the blood loss made my swings sloppy and before long he had landed several more blows. Then with a swipe of his foot he knocked me to my knees raising his sword high preparing for the killing blow.

"Jace" Clary tried to plead.

"Get down," He growled shoving her to the floor before he moved so fast across the room it didn't even seem possible. As Valentine blade fell it found home in the floor, as Jace had pushed me out of the way.

"I think you should leave," Jace said standing over the quivering hilt of the sword.

Valentine stared at his son incredulously. "What did you say?"