Chapter 22

A WHILE LATER...

Uriah's POV

I race over to the hospital and I jump at the nurse. She tells me the exact room number and I run, and the world falls around me. I see her and run. I look at her pale face and I know something is very wrong.

I walk over to her and sit on the chair at her side while pulling it closer to her. "Tris..." I murmur through the tears. They stream down my face and I cry for what feels like forever before she replies.

"I love you, Uriah," she states simply. She lightly smiles and her pale face stretches. It then contorts and she looks like she is in severe pain. She says she is OK, but I am not convinced.

I listen to beat on the heart monitor. She gently strokes my hand and I whisper inaudible things to her. I sniffle and look at her.

"I'm fine, Uriah. It's just... My story is just coming to an end."

The constant beeps on the heart monitor stop. I scream and look at her. Her eyes flutter and closed. I scream again and a large group of doctors and nurses run in and I am forced out.

Your story can't be over! I scream at myself mentally.

I am pushed on a seat and I sit crying. My face burns and I have a piercing headache. Nurses come and talk to me every once in a while and I just end up screaming at them.

I eventually leave her and I walk like a robot. My head never looks up and I continue on my path. I get in the apartment and Zeke rushes through the door and nearly breaks it off the hinges.

He starts talking to me, but it only sounds like he is talking through water. The invisible water pours in my ears. He ends up giving up on talking to me and makes us some food.

He places a plate of something in front me. I sit unmoved staring at the door like I have been for the past half and hour. It sits untouched and Zeke continues to try and talk to me, but my eyes never leave the door.

It's as if I expect her to walk through the door and, in the end, Zeke gives up. And walks through that door.

I have a mental break down and in the end, I fall asleep on the couch.

•••

"My story is just coming to an end."

It replays in my mind.

Stuck on replay.

I walk over to the Chasm.

I bend my knees.

And jump.

Air and time freeze around me and I feel free of the pain of her death.

The relief washes over me and I am happy.

Then I hit the water.