The Christmas Party

Dec. 23 Presents from those extraordinary friends are extra special.

Journal, I have been dying to write! Through all the hustle and bustle of school and activities, this journal's been hiding under the bed this whole time. Maybe I accidentally dropped it to the floor...but oh well.

This last week has been crazy. I've been running around, trying to help Arlene with her decorating of the cafeteria for our upcoming Christmas party.

Cutting up papers, hanging lights, and outlining letters was what made me feel like my days were cut short. Even Trent was there, helping plan out the program and strategizing where the dance performers could perform.

Out of all his friends, he was the only one who helped out without anyone asking him too. His character was that way, and I admired it.

I couldn't help but glance his way over my cutting. Unfortunately, I got a cut with scissors. I stumbled on a ladder and almost fell. And I spilled glue over my uniform as I was trying to grab it but missed and it fell toward me.

All those times of embarrassment was because I had been glancing at him over the table, watching him from the ladder, and peeking at him from behind the curtains.

I hope he didn't notice.

**

Before I knew it, I was opening the doors to our school's annual Christmas party. My bright red three-fourths shirt, with a dark unbuttoned green vest, and dark green jeans made me look like a Christmas tree.

Journal, don't laugh at me. It was my mom who picked out my clothes, and it looks okay.

The party was a blast. There were dance performances (and this time, I didn't join any of them), games, and food.

And when the program was coming to an end, the highlight of the party (for the girls) really lit up.

"Okay, students, give your exchange gifts to who you were assigned to. Girls...1, 2, 3...go!" The teacher stated through a microphone.

All the girls rushed up to the boys and handed them neatly wrapped small gifts.

Journal, I tried to be nicer to Juan. I forced myself to trade with the girl who got his name. I gave him a keychain for his collection. He always has rings and rings of keychains hanging from his backpack.

I smiled as I held out my present. He looked disgusted as I approached, and he folded his arms and looked away. I dropped my present into his lap, and headed back to my seat.

I walked away, rubbing my elbow and biting my lip.

This year, the teachers made the guys give an exchange gift to a girl, and the girls had to give to a guy. Yes, so the girls were pretty ecstatic for what boy was going to give a Christmas present to her.

My best friend especially.

"Krissa, I hope he gives a gift to me! I've been wishing on Mars for the last four days!" Arlene was moving too much in her seat behind me. I knew she was talking about Trent.

I raised an eyebrow, "Isn't Mars a planet? Not a star?"

She just shook her head, "It is one of the biggest stars from the naked eye. And, it has an orange glow, so it's an extra special wishing star!" Her knees jumped up and down. "Which boy did you wish for?"

I looked away and caught a glimpse of Trent. He was looking down, with a neatly wrapped present in hand. With his elbows on his knees, and his bent shape as he eyed the floor, he looked nervous.