Three Minutes To Go

New Year's Eve; 11:57 PM

Here I am. That moment before a new year. I'm here writing about our school's new year dance.

An hour ago, my wish came true.

Trent had come into the dance with a white suit and dark blue polo shirt within, probably signifying a new year and start. I was sitting in a chair across the room, glancing down at my own outfit. A dark blue floor-length dress with a white cover-up that had three-fourth sleeves.

Arlene saw me glancing at him. She nudged me and whispered, "You two look good together."

I laughed and lightly nudged her back, "You too." I joked.

She just shook her head. She was right, her dress was a light purple flowing dress that reached down to brush her ankles and purple heels. Journal, out of the two of us, I looked more suited for him at the moment. But I didn't say anything out loud.

The dance started off with a blasting party song, which was probably why no one got up to dance. I sat there at the table, my fingers tapping lightly at my purse in hand.

Everyone has that feeling. Waiting for the first person to stand up in front of the whole school to dance, so they will follow. For girls, it takes forever for the guys to get up. But to the guys, time seems to slow to them, with some of them on the verge of their seats waiting for that spring of courage to jump up.

Out of all of the boys, Trent and Juan got up first. I couldn't understand boys, one minute, Trent's defending me against Juan, and the next minute, Juan is clapping Trent on the back, laughing like there wasn't a care in the world.

And in this moment of time, they acted like how they looked. Two best friends, staring down at the ground, getting up the courage to go ask a girl to dance. Soon boys started to stand from all around, enveloping Trent and Juan in their bustle to ask their favorite girl for their first dance. Sadly, I couldn't see the first girl Trent had asked. Rumors have been spread that Trent would ask his supposed crush, Wren-Wren, the winner of the school's singing contest, for his first dance.

But I would never know, because I only saw him ten minutes later as he came to our table.

Time slowed, but my heart beat faster than ever. This was the moment. He would ask me and we would dance the night away, talking and laughing together. With his hands in his dark pants pockets, he turned his gaze upwards to look at us. I could feel a small smile on my face as his glowing face perked up to see us. I blushed, so I hid my face behind my hands and lightly coughed.

And then, time slipped back into its normal pace.

I slipped my finger into a curl of my hair. My wavy hair suddenly started feeling itchy in the hairdo I had done.

I gazed at Arlene, and started to make small talk with her. This was the moment where I let him come up to me and get my attention. This was that awkward moment for the boy, that second hanging between asking a girl or shying away from her.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Trent pause, looking from me to Arlene.

Please pick me. Please pick me.

Journal, I never wanted to say that out loud, but my thoughts seem to have a mind of their own.

He stepped forward and cleared his throat. Me and Arlene turned to him. "Um, would you like to dance?"

My heart beat faster, and then dropped down below sea level. His hand was outstretched to Arlene. Arlene was smiling like crazy as she took his hand. I was drowning in my own thoughts down in that deep blue sea.

Why didn't he pick me? Does he like Arlene? I thought he was going to pick me...

I sighed and turned in my seat to face my lonely table. Something blinked and caught my eye.

I gazed towards the ceiling to see a star glittering down at me through a window. A perfect star to wish on...

I wish he would dance with me. At least once. Please.

I sighed, looking at my silent phone. Why wasn't anyone texting? I felt glum. All my textmates were here in the dance, dancing away with cute strangers, probably even trying to get their cellphone numbers in the process.

I itched the back of my neck gently, trying not to ruin the hairdo, but at the same time trying to get rid of the itch that was driving me crazy.

I tapped my phone to glance at the time. My eyes went wide as I read the time:

10:45 PM.

I bit the inside of my cheek. The teachers wanted to end the dance at 11 PM, along with closing exercises and such.

So that meant that there were probably...

"This is the second to last song, ladies and gentleman." A teacher in a neat suit said into the microphone.

I glanced up and found that Arlene was dancing away with one of Trent's groupmates. I guess they did that switch-partner thing, that action which boys do to avoid the "can I ask you to dance?" question. I don't know if I have been affected by all of Arlene's "boy-deciphering" talk, but I guess it was starting to make me sense what boys were doing more.

I looked around. Yeah, Arlene's talk was affecting me so much that I thought Trent was deciding in that moment to ask me to dance. By the way he stiffened as he turned to me, and moved one knee as he just stood there near the table, a hand in one pocket.

Ugh, Krissa stop that nonsense.

It was just my wishful thinking.

Yeah, calm yourself Krissa, he's heading your way.

I shook my head, and exhaled. My thoughts sometimes do that, journal. They fight against each other, making my heart beat unevenly.

Don't get ahead of yourself, he's probably just-

"Krissa,"

Oh, no.

Oh, yes!

It was Trent's voice. "do you want to dance?"

I turned my head ever so slowly, looking at his outstretched hand...