The Do-Over

Aug. 12 I'm not looking for trouble. I'm looking for a way to fix all the trouble I've caused.

I opened my eyes. The first thing I see is my bright blue shorts. The ones I had worn to the performance. I couldn't help it, I shouted aloud. Jumping in the process and hitting my head on the roof of the tricy. How did I change into them so quickly?

Ria laughed in the driver's seat. I rubbed the side of my head and turned to her. She smiled, "It's so funny to see a passenger's first reaction when their clothes transform."

"How?" I screeched.

She laughed, "When you go back in time to a certain point, you are going back with the same clothes during that time. You merge with your past self. It's your dance performance for the Kadayawan Festival..." She raised her hands in the gesture of quotation marks, "...'today', diba? So there's your clothes."

I just stared at her, trying to soak in all this new information. She raised her eyebrows and laughed again. She made a shooing motion, "Go and make your trouble. We'll talk later."

What did she mean by 'go and make your trouble'? I wasn't doing anything wrong, I was trying to make things right.

I gulped and stepped out of the sidecar. Just then, Arlene turned from the corner of a building. She seemed surprised to see me there. My heart raced. Did she know I was from the future? Or that I had gone back in time?

She jumped toward me, grabbing my hand, "Krissa, the dance is starting soon. Come on!"

I ran with her towards the gate designed for the performers, but as I did I tried to look back for Maria.

But she was gone.

**

Sweat was pouring down my face as the drummers started up the beat.  I forced myself to review the steps again and again in my mind. Keeping only one other thought screaming through my head, "FOCUS."

Our dance started, and I focused my eyes on my dancing.

Then...it came.

The boys in the front shouted, "Kadayawan Festival!"

I eyed the floor. Even if I knew Juan was waving the torch. Even if I knew Trent was up front doing his traditional dance with a select group of boys. 

In a moment, it was all over. Arlene hugged me as we walked away from the cheering crowd. 

**

The crowd roared and cheered as our dance group ran onstage. Most of the girls were shy but the boys happily raised the trophy up in the air. 

1st place! 

The announcer shouted our school's name again. All our school friends and classmates screamed our names as a judge came up and handed a large sign reading the prize money of 50,000 pesos.

I gazed at Trent as he raised the first place trophy with the other boys, Juan at his side. He smiled.

I smiled.

The rumors were true, if it hadn't been for my mistake our school would have won.

And now, in this second cycle, I never messed. 

My mission was complete.