Normal Day?

Four days after the Christmas Party, I'm left with nothing. I'm left with a normal day. What's normal about a day anyway? 

Juan accidentally bumped me in the hall as we passed each other. He grunted a "Sorry." and just moved on his way, laughing with his friends as if he didn't even see me.

I lingered on his smiling face. He would never know how close we were to fighting each other on this same day a cycle ago.

The day he had offended me. The day that Trent had calmed me. The day Trent knew the real me. The day I made that mistake of going into the past.

Arlene had been talking to me, like it was a normal day. But nothing was normal anymore, since I had made that choice of going back in time to change.

Memories kept on coming back, thoughts kept rushing through my mind, and pain kept on building up that I couldn't handle it all anymore. I felt like a fragile glass cup, being filled with too many rocks to hold up anymore.

Arlene grabbed at my arm, "Krissa, look, Trent looks so good with his new watch and backpack..."

Her mouth kept on talking like a never-ending radio interview with the latest stars.

And just like how I listen to the radio, I tuned it out and lifted my gaze to see Trent.

He did look good. But, good character was better than good looks. And it just so happened that he had both looks and great character. A helpful, caring, and quiet-mannered guy. But that was when we were friends. 

And just like that, my fragile self started to crack.

Tears started to form at the edges of my eyes. And I realized Arlene had stopped talking.

She gently rubbed my shoulder as she said, "Are you okay, Krissa?"

My chest started to heave up and down as I turned to Arlene.

Arlene. My best friend in whom I have always shared my problems with.

But this time, sharing was impossible. Because for the first time in forever...

She couldn't understand me. Time-travel was impossible to anyone and everyone who hadn't been introduced to it.

And that made my heart ache even harder to bear.

I smiled awkwardly, and tried to gulp down the pain welling up in my throat. "I'm fine." I croaked. I faked a cough, "Excuse me. I just need..."

What? What was it that I badly needed? 

Comfort. That's what it was. But I couldn't even get it from my own best friend.

"...some w-water."

And then I ran.

She could have fallen for my lie, but the tears falling from my face gave away my feelings inside. But before she could call out to me I had already disappeared down the next corner and into a quiet hall.

A hall the first-years had abandoned for their field trip. The place where Trent had learned of my past self.

Journal, in that moment, my heart was so heavy I could have shouted out. He had known about me. The beginning of our friendship had come to an abrupt end.

If he hadn't known about me, I wouldn't be here, muttering about all the drama that has happened.

I dropped my backpack and slumped to the floor.

I wish I could go to my mom for advice and comfort. But no one in the whole world could comfort me right now.

I felt so alone.