Chapter 14

“I didn’t tell my dad because you’re right I was a coward, but I don’t know how to fix this now,” he sighed.

“Tell him I’m your mate, you said the only reason you’re getting an arranged mate is because you didn’t have a mate, well now you do,” I said.

“I just think we should take it slow, I mean we did just start actually being together and we’re not fully mated,” Dex said.

“Are you serious, so what, are you ever going to tell him?” I asked astonished.

“I can’t tell him okay, he’ll think of me as a coward,” Dex said.

“So you would rather string me along your side until you mate that other woman and then kick me to the curb?” I asked.

“That’s not what I meant, I just think it’s too soon,” he pleaded with me to understand.

“Well can’t you tell him that you’ve found your mate and just want to take things slow?” I asked.

“You don’t know my dad he will make me mate you right away,” he said.

“Don’t you want me?” I asked and his eyes shined as he looked at me.

“Of course but love is one of my biggest fears and I don’t want to… no I just can’t rush things,”

“But—“

“Those girls that I sleep with mean nothing to me if I slept with you it would mean something big and I’m not ready for that extra step,” he admitted.

“I understand but your going to have to tell him,” I looked at him and he tried to hug me but I walked away.

“You’re mad at me now?” he asked.

“No I just need time,” I said as I turned toward the lake I always went too.

          He didn’t follow me and I was grateful for that. I liked Dex hell I even love him but now it’s different I still love him but I don’t know. Ever since I broke down yesterday when we kissed and I thought about Cole it just hasn’t been the same. I wish I could see Cole right now, but I need to make a decision about Dex first. Do I want to be with him or not? I looked at myself in the lake and I pushed my hair behind my ear. I stated walking back home and walked into the house.

“Sissy, where did you go?” my little brother tugged on my jeans.

“Hey little guy, I went out with Dex,” I told him he immediately perked up looking for him.

“Where is he?” Chase pouted as he looked over my shoulder.

“He had to go home,” I sighed and my mom came around the corner.

“Hey sweetie,” my mom smiled at me.

“Hey mom,” I put Chase down and walked into the kitchen with her following.

“Is there anything you want since you’re following me around?” I asked as I pulled out a bottle of water.

“Is Dex your---,” she looked excited.

“No,” I lied, it sounded dangerously truthful though.

“Oh,” she looked disappointed.

“So what’s for dinner?” I asked.

“I’m making lasagna, Dex and his family are coming over,” she said, I rolled my eyes.

“When?” I asked.

“6 p.m.” she said.

“Fine, I’m going to be in my room call me when dinner is ready,”

          I walked upstairs and pulled out my phone. I dialed Tina’s number.

“Hello?” she answered.

“Tina!” I squealed.

“Hey Emily, enjoying your time with your family?” she asked.

“Yeah, guess who I just spent the day with?” I asked.

“Who?”

“Dex, but we ended up fighting and now he’s coming to eat dinner with my family,” I said disgusted.

“Good, I mean aww, you two were fighting?” she tried to cover and I giggled.

“So what’s up with you and the boys?” I asked.

“We all miss you, we set up a surprise for you it’s supposed to arrive at your house tonight,” she said.

“Aww thanks,” I smiled.

“I expect you to call when it gets there, I’ll keep my eye out for it then,” I assured her.

          We talked and talked about random things and I finally told her I needed to go and I hung up on her. I took a quick shower and pulled my hair up in a tight bun with a nice blue dress for dinner. I walked down the stairs and went towards the wonderful smell in the kitchen.

“Hey mom,” I kissed her on the cheek as she set up the table.

“Sweet heart you look so nice,” she smiled at me.

“Thanks mom, so do you,” I smiled at her yellow sundress.

“Hello my beauties,” my dad walked down stairs with Chase dressed up in his arms.

“Hey dad,” I smiled at him.

Ding Dong!

“I’ll get it,” I said as I walked to the door.

“Hi Emily,” Kate smiled at me.

“Hello,” I held the door open for them all to walk in.

“You look beautiful Emily,” Dex whispered in my ear and I smiled at him.

“Thank you,”

          We both walked in silence towards the dining room. After mom served dinner they all went to hang out in the living room and I walked out into the backyard. I felt his presence behind me before I saw him.

“I’m sorry about earlier,” he said as he stood next to me looking out into the forest.

“We both were a little over dramatic with the issue,” I admitted as I looked at my hands.

“Yeah, but I was at fault I should’ve told my father,”

“But you’re right we shouldn’t rush into things” I smiled at him.

“But I don’t want to wait anymore,” he said to me and he leaned in and kissed me with so much passion I almost fainted.

          It didn’t feel the same as other kisses we shared it was different I don’t know how though. I didn’t have time to respond when I heard his voice.

“Emily?” it sounded so broken, I pushed away from Dex and turned to be face to face with Cole.