Chapter 26

It was still night time, about 1 am now. I drove and about 25 minutes later I pulled up in front of the apartment building, but it looked more like a hotel.

I walked into the building and the warm air seemed to engulf me. The building was modernly styled and the receptionist looked at me with a smile before asking," Are you Nathaniel Titan?"

"Yes."

"Master Matteo's room is room 100 on the top floor at the end of the hallway." She told me.

I nodded, slightly creeped out before taking the key she handed me and going into the elevator, pushing the 10th floor. Like all elevators, it had the boring elevator music that was meant to help pass the time when really, it just made me more anxious.

It dinged and the doors opened to the tenth floor. I stepped out of the elevator and walked to the end of the hall, stopping in front of the room with a 100 on it. I pulled the key out of my pocket and unlocked the door, there was a click. Opening the door, I looked around.

There was a black L shaped couch with a flat screen tv in front of it. The walls lacked decoration and it looked like it was barely used. I walked further into the apartment to find that there was a small kitchen one side and a door that led to a bedroom, I opened that door and there was an elegant gray and white bed, two dressers, and a door that I guessed led to a bathroom.

Walking in the room, I felt my phone vibrate. I looked at the text.

No clothes and in position by the time I get there

He left no indication when he would get here so, being the mischievous person I am, I decided to procrastinate. I stripped off my clothes, folding them neatly and setting them on the floor next the bed before I looked around the room for something to entertain myself. There was a button on the wall in front of the bed and when I pushed it, part of the wall seemed to slide up to reveal a tv.

"That's cool," I thought aloud. I turned on the tv, making sure the volume was low enough so that I could hear the door but loud enough to where I could still hear it.

I had flipped to Jerry Springer when I heard the door open. Hurriedly, and quietly, I turned off the tv pushing the button a second time so that the part of wall that it was hidden by before, slid back down. I listened to his footsteps walk around the house as I got into the standard position for Subs. I placed my hands behind my back while sinking onto my knees, my head looking down and my shoulders relaxed.

About 30 minutes later, I heard the footsteps approach the door before they stopped. Since the bedroom was padded with carpet unlike the rest of the apartment, I knew I wouldn't be able to hear his steps. I took a deep breath to try and resist the urge to look around.

I felt his breath tickle the back of my neck, making me shiver in anticipation. His hands grazed over my skin leaving a trail of tingles.

"Do you know why you're being punished?" Matteo whispered, his accent thick.

"Yes sir, I'm being punished for causing you to worry, for not answering your phone calls, for not avoiding your question earlier, and for sleeping with Dr. Peters." I answered, regret staining my voice as I said the last part.

"Look up at me," Matteo commanded, now in front of me.

I abided by the action, lifting my head up to make full eye contact with him. I felt like I was seeing him for the first time. Having lost my memory, he's mere presence didn't stir anything inside me but now as I take him in, all the feelings I have for him seem to arise. It's almost overwhelming.

He studied me for a second, his stormy gray eyes losing their anger and looking at me with a light amount of relief. He breathed out a sigh," You have your memory back."

"Yes," I replied quietly, looking away from him," but it seems a little too late."

"What do you mean?" he asked confused.

He seemed so innocent, like he wasn't just raging mad a little more than an hour ago.

"I slept with another man," I said blankly as he winced, hurt crossing his features," and losing my memory is no excuse. I was right before, I don't deserve you. I don't think I ever will."

He pulled me against his chest, stroking my hair softly before speaking, his words vibrating through his chest," Have you ever thought that maybe you're what I want? That you're the thing I never knew I needed until you sat next to me on an airplane, while I was heading home. And maybe you think you don't deserve me, maybe it's true, but I deserve to have you, the person I've fallen in love with."

I looked up at him, searching his eyes, hoping to find someone kind of lie but all I could sense was sincerity. My vision blurred slightly as I tried to hold back my tears. I buried my head into the side of his neck as the tears silently fell from my eyes. He rubbed my back, softly.

"You know I almost killed myself," I whispered making him freeze and his body grow tense," Jump off a bridge. When I had called you, I was drunk and I was so confused, frustrated, and defeated. I felt like the walls were closing in. I was going to jump but....."

"What happened?" he asked, his voice strained.

"My memories came of you came flooding back. It hit me like a truck, all of memories and emotions I feel towards you came rushing back and because of the force of it I almost fell but someone pulled me back just in time."

He nodded, hugging me tightly against his chest, my head on his shoulder that started to shake slightly. I froze not knowing what to do.

It's like hope that's only conceivable under covered eye lids. It's like an angel falling from his place in glory, it's like never ending rain.

I lifted my head from his shoulders, sitting up in his arms made us on eye level with each other. He wiped his hand over his face, taking away any evidence that he had been crying. I grabbed his face in my hands, looking him in the eyes.

"Don't cry, only one of us is allowed to be weak and broken, and I'm sorry but I won that position fair and square," I chuckled tearfully.

"That's the thing about loving you," he told me," loving you is like being made whole again."

Sometimes he said the most romantic things.

"I love you, you hopeless romantic." I said smiling at him, my eyes slightly watering.

"E io ti amo," the Italian words rolled off his tongue so elegantly that I mistook it for English at first. (and I love you)

A smile graced his face as we looked into each other's eyes. He dipped his head down, capturing my lips in a passionate kiss. Our tongues seemed to get lost in each other's mouth. Our lips moved in sync before Matteo pulled back, his gray eyes darkened with lust making them look almost black.

"I think it's time for some," he paused smirking," fun."