Chapter 32

I wanted to just bang my head against the wall. The awkwardness was suffocating me and what's worse is everyone tried to act like it wasn't bothering them.

I sat next to Matteo, with Montero in front of me and Christo and Andrea at the heads of the table. Dinner had already been dished out and we all sat eating quietly. Every time I looked up, Montero was staring at me, sometimes he smirked other times he stared blankly. Matteo would clench his jaw glaring and Christo just sat smirking as he watched them both.

Andrea on the other hand, tried to make conversation and every time it failed miserably. I was seconds away from just stabbing my eye out with a fork to escape.

"Okay, this is a little too much," Andrea stated," Matteo stop killing your brother with your eyes, Tero stop looking at Nathan like he's a juicy steak, and Christoffel stop enjoying this. Either you all talk it out or cry a river, build a bridge and get the fuck over it because I'm sure Nate is drowning in the tension you've all created."

She's my new spirit animal.

Matteo looked up and sighed, running a hand through his hair before looking at Montero, and if looks could kill this would be Montero's third funeral. "What's your problem, Tero?"

He replied simply before his tone laced with anger," It's just like when we were kids, every time I had something you always took it away. First mom, now him and you seem to think you're entitled to it. So no Matteo, I don't really have a problem with you but it's obvious you have one with me. So what's wrong, perdente, are you jealous? Are mad because Papa promised me the one you love? Or are you still crying over mommy?"

I thought Matteo would be raging but when I looked at him, I felt myself go rigid. He was deadly calm. It reminded me of Liza when she was close to her breaking point. I could feel his anger roll off him in waves but he looked calm and that's what scared me.

"You know I think that's funny. You always seem to be the victim in these situations. I took mom? No you pushed her away. You were too busy trying to be like Papa that, you didn't care that your own mother was dying so don't blame that on me and as for Nathan, I didn't take him. Unlike you, I don't force people to do things they don't want to, if anything, your angel came to me. And I'm not entitled I just work for what I want and take back what others have taken from me."

Montero glared at him, before his feature smoothed out into a lazy smirk," You're right little brother, I guess I'll have to take what's mine, don't I? Just know that you only have yourself to blame."

He stood up from the table, and exiting the room, I listened as the front door slammed shut. Christo clapped slowly," Well Matteo now you've made him angry, I hope you can deal with the monster because you know how he gets when he's mad."

I paused and looked at Matteo questioningly and he froze. That's never a good sign. "Papa, can't you do something?"

Christo shrugged, taking a sip of his ice tea before looking at Matteo blankly," I've created a monster, one that even I can no longer tame." He also stood up from the table and ruffled both Matteo and I's hair, before he started walking out the room, his footsteps haunting and quiet.

"Unfortunately you both have dug your own graves for love, now you just have to be ready to lie in it. Your brother is someone even I would be scared of, he's smart, unpredictable, strategic, and dangerous. And you're taking the last reminder of the only person he's ever loved."