1

I played the song that he sent me as soon as I stepped out of school.

Heartbreak Girl.

I bite my tongue, but I wanna scream out. You can be with me, now.

I smiled and sat down at the steps of Oakley High School. I listened to the incredible beat that Ashton has put into the song. His band mates were great, sure, but a song is nothing without a beat or a rhythm.

Ashton delivered just that.

"Hey."

I looked up and saw Ella. My best friend. I stood up.

"Hi."

"Listen, I'll miss you."

That was it. That was enough.

I threw my arms around her. Surprisingly, she accepted the hug. "You have fun in Sydney," I said, releasing her. "While I rot here." "Don't put it that way," she smirked. "We'll still be talking. It's only six months." "Right. I'll see you in six months, then." "Then. See you later, Juliet."

And she left. Just like that.

Hold you tight, straight through the daylight. I'm right here, when you gonna realise?

That I'm your cure. Heartbreak girl.

I kicked my bag. This exchange thing was stupid. Ella was going in two days. I could have a break down right now, but I don't want to attract attention towards myself.

A car honked and I saw my elder sister, Claire, in her grey Honda City. I scooped up my bag and rushed over.

"How's school?" She asked me. "Ella's going away. Some stupid exchange." "Exchanges aren't stupid. Well, not all." "But this one is."

Clair is three years older than me, making her twenty. She used to be in college but she dropped out to become a social worker. I don't know why she'd miss an opportunity of education.

Because I sure as hell would never.

As soon as I stepped into my house, I threw my bag and all of my worries down by my bed and turned on my laptop.

He was still awake.

juliethazelwood: how r you still up
ashwin: HEY YOU'RE HOME
ashwin: CALL ME

And so I did.

Ashton's face popped up on my screen. His face was sort of glowing. Beaming. "Guess what happened yesterday while you were sleeping." He grinned. "You broke another pair of drumsticks." "No! I mean, not technically. I broke a pencil that I was using as a drumstick. But no. One more guess."

"Oh, just tell me already," I smiled, throwing my hands up in defeat. He grinned like a fool and held up a piece of paper.

A certificate?

I squinted to read it. But he beat me to it.

"'Dear Mr. Ashton Irwin,' that's me. 'We are happy to announce that you and five other students have been chosen to attend an exchange program between Oakley High School and McRonin High School. Your flight ticket has been covered, your parents have approved and you leave on Friday. Any inquiries shall be asked towards Mr. Jacobsen, your teacher guide for the exchange.'"

I looked up at him. He was still grinning. "Ashton," I murmured. "You're coming to America?" "Yes, baby!" Ashton laughed. "Ashton," I furrowed my eyebrows. "You... You're coming to my school. Oakley High. Ashton, do you know what this means?"

"That we're going to meet each other?"

Our eyes met. That's when I screamed.