Chapter 1: That Day Roles Around Again

I woke up in my bedroom to the light of the sun shining through my window, just like every morning. It bothered me. Lying silently in my bed, I played back that very day exactly one year ago.

Ever since my run in with that wolf, every year my mother, father, and younger sister have nagged me about talking to strangers. My mother, Farah Aethelu, was a beautiful woman. Everyone says I look just like her, but every year my mother was always hesitant to let me out of the house. My father, Bentley Aethelu, is a kind man. I've been told I act just like him, but every year I got the cold shoulder from him because he thinks it will teach me not to talk to suspicious people. And my sister, Evelyn Aethelu, doesn't need a reason to nag me. Every time we get into a quarrel, she ends her defense with,"At least I'm not the one who was tricked by a wolf!" Every year was the same.

I got out of bed and got dressed. I, then, went downstairs knowing exactly what to expect.

"Mom please!" I walked into the kitchen just in time to hear Evelyn pleading with our mother,"Everyone else in the village is going! Why can't I?!"

"You went to the West side of the village by yourself, after midnight, and was caught. Why would we let you out for the Harvest Festival after that?", my mother countered my sister with her last wild stunt.

The West side of the village isn't well known for polite people or nice events. No one knows for sure what happens there, but what we find out is never good. Especially when people sneak out late at night to get there, that usually means something bad will happen.

Hearing my mother tell my sister no, I couldn't help but say something. "Bet you wish you hadn't snuck out now."

"Tatiana, don't make those comments. They're rude. Besides, the only reason you're allowed to go is because it doesn't start until tomorrow night", my mother comes to Evelyn's defense, but doesn't decrease her punishment.
Ever since I was swallowed by a wolf, I wasn't allowed to do anything that was scheduled on that day. I missed out on so many things because of that wolf. This year was the first time in 15 years that I was going to be able to participate in the Harvest Festival.

"Mother, I'm going out", I said as I grabbed my red, hooded cloak.

"Where to?" My mother began to question me. I could tell she was a bit hesitant to let me out, as usual.

"To meet Suzette at the well in the center of the village." I tell my mother where I'm going, so she doesn't worry. Then I wait for her nod of approval, which comes shortly after I tell her. So, I left to go meet Suzette by the well in the center of the village.

Suzette Goldwine was my best friend. She was just as excited as me about the Harvest Festival. We have been together since early childhood and decided we would spend the Harvest Festival together. We were meeting today to get some Harvest Festival dresses for the Harvest Moon dance at the end of the festival.
It wasn't a long walk to the well and I saw Suzette as soon as I got there. When she saw me, her face lit up like the sun and she smiled from ear to ear.

Suzette walked up and hugged me. "I thought for sure your mother wouldn't let you out today."

"I thought so to, but she was busy with Evelyn this morning and it gave me a little bit of wiggle room to get by. She knows I'm here though", I replied to Suzette's comment as if it was simple as we separated from each other and headed for the tailors shop. "Are you excited?"

"Of course! I mean, I can't wait for the Harvest Moon dance! That's actually why I wanted to meet with you today", Suzette said. Her face went from excited to serious.

"What do you mean, Suzette?", I asked her with a hint of concern in my voice. Something wasn't right. I could feel it.

"Remember when we were little and dreamed of the day we would meet our 'knight in shining armor'?", Suzette answered my question with a question.