Chapter 15: Assassination Attempt

A/N
What's up guys! Sorry it's been awhile since my last update. With Christmas and everything, I've been busy. But it's still sad. We're nearing the end of the book! I had it all planned out. I don't have any ideas to keep it going. If you have an idea that you think would lengthen the story, I will see if I can try to work it in. If I can't, the story will continue as is. Anyway here's the update.

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

~~Tatiana's POV~~

I lead Hadley down the corridor, heading the long way to the throne room. Strangely, we hadn't seen a single guard the whole way. It was odd. Usually the castle was absolutely crawling with guards and, now, there wasn't even one.

It will play in our favor though. If there aren't any guards, then it will be easier to get to Irving and kill him. After all he's done, he deserves it.

It had been at least five minutes since the group had separated. Taking the short way, Bradyn and the others should've made it to the throne room a moment ago.

I hope he's okay. I better hurry. He can only keep Irving busy for so long. I should pick up my pace.

I began to walk faster and I made it to the back entrance of the throne room. I looked down at Hadley, then I looked at the dark curtains by the door, then back to Hadley.

"Okay Hadley. I need you to hide behind those curtains until I come get you. Alright?", I said, with my best reassuring smile. She smiled and nodded her head. "Good. Now stay as quiet as a mouse and don't move. I'll be right back."

Hadley went behind the curtains and sat still, quietly. I smiled at her and pulled the curtains, so they would cover her. It was time to FINALLY get my revenge.

I pulled out The Dagger. It had helped me spill the blood of the same creature, twice, and, now, it would help me spill the blood of the man I hated most in this world and the last.

I opened the door without a sound and crept behind the throne. I peeked around the side of the overly praised chair and saw the others being held by the guards. Bradyn had an unreadable expression on his face. He was probably trying to hide something.

So, this is where all the guards went. But that means he knew something. Doesn't it?

I had to kill Irving now, or within the next few seconds, or everyone would be killed in front of me. I was about to try and kill him when I was suddenly grabbed. I looked up to see more guards around me.

From in front of me, I could hear Irving's evil laugh. He stood up and turned to me.

"Did you really think I would fall for that 'your assassin accomplished his mission' bit? I know you people well enough to know that you wouldn't just come out and say one of you was gonna kill me and I'm pretty sure my assassin would've reported back if he succeeded. I'm not stupid, you know. But I still thought you would've planned this a little better. I am a king. I deserve an assassination attempt worth failing for. You could've, at least, done that right", Irving said. He was practically dripping rage.

Oh no! This isn't good! I was caught! I still have my dagger, but I can't make a move without being taken out, myself.
It was worth a shot, so I quickly leapt up and attempted to stab him...only to fail. He grabbed my wrist, causing me to drop my dagger, and pinned me against a near by pillar. There was an unusual sound when I hit the pillar, but it was probably just the impact of my skull. I grimaced in pain, slightly. It wasn't the first time I had been slammed into a hard surface, but it still hurt.

"Did you think I hadn't thought you would try again? How stupid you are! I predicted this would happen." He was as overly confident as ever. It irritated me.
"Did you think I would just give up? How stupid YOU are!!" He had me by the throat, but I managed to speak alright. He glared at me with pure hatred. He lifted his hand and slapped me. I could hear Bradyn struggling against the guards again.

"You really shouldn't talk back. It isn't right." He gave me a chilling smile. I glared right back.

"You shouldn't beat people!" I struggled against him. He slapped me again.

"You're right...but I'm gonna do just that." He slammed my head against the pillar repeatedly, until it cracked. I felt something wet run down my back.

"Let her go! She doesn't deserve this! Release her, let me go, and fight me like a REAL man would!!", Bradyn screamed. I looked over at him and he looked at me. I noticed The Dagger at Bradyn's feet. I gave him a reassuring smile and used my free hand to slap Irving.

~~Bradyn's POV~~

I looked over at Tatiana, feeling her gaze on me, and struggled harder. She gave me a reassuring smile.

I don't know why, but that smile has nothing reassuring about it. It feels like a GOODBYE!!!

I struggled even harder as Tatiana lifted her free hand and slapped Irving. He was infuriated, but didn't have any time react.

The pillar he had slammed her into repeatedly had been cracked in the process. The crack had finally given in and broke.

Water came pouring out of the pillar and went everywhere. It was the perfect distraction and it probably even saved Tatiana's life.

Thank God for cheap pillars!

~~Tatiana's POV~~

I was hoping Bradyn would've taken my hint and grabbed The Dagger and stabbed Irving for me, while I distracted him. Instead, the pillar cracked and water came gushing out.

That must've been the sound I heard when I was slammed against the pillar earlier.

I was really happy that I wasn't gonna be killed, since the water was a perfect distraction. I turned to Bradyn with a huge smile. He returned it and managed to get loose from the guards, who just ran away from the water.

Those guards must've been mummies or something. But now Bradyn is free!

Bradyn was about to take a step forward when we both noticed something wasn't right. We both looked down at the floor and noticed that The Dagger was giving off a weak light. Apparently, Irving noticed too.

"What are you fools doing?!", Irving yelled at the remaining guards,"Get that dagger away from the water and somewhere dry and locked!!!" He pointed to The Dagger. I looked at it and then at the guards. None of them were even making a move towards The Dagger, they were all backing away from it.

The light coming from The Dagger grew brighter. The light became blinding.

What's going one?!

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

A/N

What's up guys! Don't forget about my request from earlier. And, also, don't forget to vote and comment!