Chapter 3: A So Called "Engagement"

After the sun rose to its peak, I jumped out of bed as Suzette burst into my bedroom. She closed the door behind her, approached me, and sat down on my bed next to me. I could see the concern in her eyes.

"Tatiana, what happened last night? You were acting rather strange when you came to say goodbye."

I knew I was too obvious! I should have just came home...

I was at a loss for words. I couldn't decide what to say. The mysterious man confused me a little, but Irving was the one that drove it home. We had just met that night and, after one dance, he says we are getting married and kisses me. I didn't hate the idea, but I couldn't figure out if I loved him.

After a few minutes if thought, and Suzette pleading, I realized that, even if I told him no, Irving wouldn't listen. We would still end up married, so I decided to embrace the idea. I was sure I could at least learn to love him.

"I'm sorry to have made you worry, but I am fine", I chose my words carefully,"But you are right. Something did happen last night."

"What is it?" Suzette seemed impatient, as always.

"Well...how should I put it?" I was still having a hard time finding my words.

"Just tell me, Tatiana!" Suzette was getting more impatient by the second.

"Okay, okay", I let out a breath to calm and prepare myself and continued,"Irving kissed me last night."

"WHAT?!" Suzette looked as shocked now as I was then.

"That's not all", I said. I was trying to keep her from screaming.

You and your loud mouth, Suzette...

"What else?" Suzette was impatient all over again.

"Irving and I...", I hesitated,"...we're getting married in less than two weeks." Suzette's eyes widened to the size of saucers. Then she let out a high pitched squeal. Suzette grabbed my hands, pulled me out of bed, and she started to jump with joy. I joined in. I was excited for my wedding.

Then, my mother came in the room. "What's the matter? What's going on?" Apparently, she heard Suzette's squeal.
Suzette didn't hesitate for a second.

"Tatiana's engaged!" Suzette let out another high pitched squeal, but this time my mother joined in.

"Who is he? Tell me everything about him!" My mother was very interested in Irving. She looked at me hopefully.

"Well, he's tall. He has golden eyes and yellow hair. He is very handsome and his full name is Irving Easton Badrick." I described Irving the best I could. I told her why he came and what his job was. My mother was very impressed.

"He sounds wonderful, Tatiana", my mother smiled,"When can we meet him?"

Uh oh.

"I can arrange it", Suzette cut in,"I know his cousin."

Even worse!

"Wonderful! Just let us know when", my mother said,"Well, I better go back downstairs."

I guess neither of them see anything wrong with this?!

My mother stood and left the room. I turned to Suzette. "I'll leave it to you to set up the meeting", I told Suzette. She nodded in agreement. She apparently approved of the idea.

"Get dressed. We're going out", Suzette said.

"Where?" She had confused me.

"To town. You need some fresh air and we need to spend more time together." Suzette acted as if it was simple. I did as she said and we left within ten minutes.
Suzette and I were having a great time. She told me how things were with Ashton and I told her about how I got my Harvest Moon dance dress.