Chapter 30

AN: Have fun, everyone. I'm sorry it took me so long. I was having a life. Also, I had a bit of difficulty writing this. Enjoy this last chapter, I suppose. Things in this story may not be accurately correct and I also got lazy in writing some parts, but please bear with it. Thank you, and thank you so much for reading.

Dedication: HazzaUnderLou [For the covers in the media.]

When I got back to my room that same morning after finding out about Luke, everyone looked at me but I didn't say anything to them all. I chose to ignore them, going over to my assigned bed and falling on top of it. There I broke down into tears.

I felt a body slide into the same bed I was on and then a pair of arms wrap around me. Normally I'd push the person away, but right now I really needed to be held, and Luke wasn't there to hold me.

"It's okay," I heard Calum say to me as he ran his fingers through my hair. "He's fine and will be fine."

"H-He's deaf, Calum," I whimpered. "He c-can't hear anything a-anymore."

"I know, but he's alive and that's all that matters."

Calum was right about that, but it hurt me still that I wouldn't be able to communicate with him how I usually did. I couldn't imagine a world without sound, and knowing that Luke would have to deal with that for the rest of his life really pained me.

No words were spoken for the rest of the morning. Michael, Chelsea, and Calum chose to stay quiet as I buried my face into the pillow and silently cried. For the next hour or two, Calum continued to comfort me, Michael just lay in his bed, and Chelsea said she was going to the front desk to see if she could get any details about Luke.

"So," Michael decided to speak up, "what's happening to Luke now? Why aren't you with him?"

"He's going through another test," I answered quietly. "I don't know what for."

"Will they let us know when he's finished?" Calum asked, but I shrugged. He let out a sigh before leaving from my side and getting up. "Well, I'm going down to the cafeteria to get me some food. Do you guys want anything?"

"No, I'm good," I mumbled.

"Can I come with?" Michael asked and I looked over at him to see that he was climbing out of bed.

However, Calum went to him and gently pushed him back down, telling him, "Stay here and don't move. You shouldn't walk around so much."

"But I've got this boot thing!" Michael raised said boot for Calum to see, but the latter boy only shook his head.

"Well, someone's gotta stay with Ash and make sure he's okay. What do you want from the cafeteria?"

Instead of arguing with Calum any further, Michael crossed his arms over his chest and muttered, "Sliced peaches and orange juice."

Calum nodded and I rolled my eyes, turning onto my side so I was looking away from them.

Once Calum was gone, I heard Michael say, "I think you'll be able to go back to the hotel today, Ash."

"Yeah?" I asked, but not making eye contact with my manager.

"And then you can go back to business and such. We're way behind on a lot of things. Do you think Luke will be able to check out of the hospital today, too? He's got a flight tomorrow to London and I don't know if I can cancel it now if he can't make it."