19: Explanation

Scarlett

"I drink blood. But I'm guessing you figured that out already." He started off and I struggled to keep my breathing even. Of course I had assumed that but to hear him say it made it all the more real.
"Yeah. I worked that out." I stammered softly. Why was I so scared all of a sudden? I always prided myself in being fearless, especially around death, considering I was usually the one causing it. But something about the thought of actually drinking blood made my stomach churn.
"And, before you ask, I'm not a psychopath. I have killed in the past but I tend to drink animal blood." This time I had to repress a shudder as images of Chris sinking his teeth into helpless animals came to mind. Animals had always had a special place in my heart and I felt like I understood them more than humans.
"Okay. Well, I guess I'm just gonna have to trust you on that one." I said with a shrug and we were both quiet for a moment, alone with our thoughts. I started to wonder what else came along with being a vampire, when I remembered how quickly he'd moved outside the shop. Super speed.
     "It's not all about that, though. There are other aspects of being a vampire." He clarified, almost as if reading my thoughts. I looked at him and waited for him to continue. "Well, I'm guessing you've already seen that I have super speed."
     "Yeah, outside the shop."
     "And I also have super strength, but I don't have much use for it." A cocky smirk started to form on his face and I rolled my eyes, trying not to smile.
     "Show me." I challenged and he stood up, grabbing my hand. Just as we were about to exit the room, I looked back to see the window we had entered the room through, still smashed from the first night. A couple of strips of duct tape had been pulled across the hole in a vague effort to patch it up.
     "Chris?" He turned to me, the brown eyes watching me expectantly. "When I was in your room the first night...you weren't hiding in the wardrobe, were you?" He shook his head and I could see that he knew I had worked it out. "You...you bit me." I said quietly, revealing the two scars on my shoulder.
     "I'm really sorry, honestly. I didn't know what I was doing. It was the full moon and I was out of control. My memories of that night are very hazy."
     "The full moon affects you?" I asked in surprise. I hadn't seen that one coming.
     "Yeah. It doesn't just affect werewolves, y'know." He said with a shrug and I frowned.
     "Please don't tell me that they exist, too." I said, a little exasperated and he nodded with a chuckle.
     "Don't worry, I only found out that they existed recently." He said with a smile and started to lead me from the room again towards the stairs. Voices from downstairs drifted up to us and I realised that I'd forgotten there was a party going on.
     "How are we going to get through the crowd?" I asked.

Chris

I smiled at her and gestured for her to jump on my back. She wrapped her legs around my waist and her arms gripped my neck tightly, almost cutting off my breathing.
     "My skin is about to become really cold, just warning you." I said to her and felt my eyes change and my fangs elongate. She shuddered and I smirked, holding onto her legs. She yelped in surprise and I put my speed to the test, whizzing through the party faster than any human would be able to comprehend.
     Scarlett jumped off of my back as soon as we were outside, looking a little ill. We were standing in front of the woods behind my house, staring into the dark mass of trees.
     "So...these powers." Scarlett started and I nodded, remembering the reason that we were out here. She stared into my red eyes for a split second before I was gone, whizzing around her faster than the speed of sound.
     "Well, you obviously know about the speed." I murmured, coming to a halt. She nodded and I walked over to a nearby tree, standing to the side. "But the strength is another matter." I gripped the trunk with both hands and started to lift it upwards. The roots below me made sickening cracks as I ripped them from the ground, adjusting my grip on the tree. I held it above my head, roots at knee level, and looked over to see Scarlett's reaction.
     To say she was shocked was an understatement. Her mouth was wide open and I had to try not to laugh at her expression. Quickly, she composed herself and I put the tree back down, walking over to her with a smile.
     "Did that really just happen..." She mumbled to herself but, of course, I heard.
     "Yeah, I'm kinda strong. My senses are heightened too, but I'm sure you guessed that already. Although...all of these 'powers' disappear when I become human." I explained to her and became human again to make her feel a little more comfortable around me. What I wouldn't give to see what was going on in her head right now.
     "What about mirrors? Do you have a reflection?" She asked suddenly and I started laughing.
     "Yeah. Most of the myths surrounding vampires are rubbish." I chuckled and she gave me a small smile. But as I watched, her face fell as she appeared to remember something.
     "What's wrong?" I asked. She tucked a couple of strands of her hair behind her ear and turned to the side, obviously unhappy.
     "I just...this is a lot to process." I frowned as I read her facial expressions. She seemed to be lying, strangely enough. But what was the real reason that she was sad, then?
     "Okay, well..." I trailed off, not sure what else to say.
     "I'm leaving."