Chapter 1

The whistle blew again, signaling that the Hogwarts Express would be leaving any minute. I said a quick goodbye to my mum and brother and jumped on the train just as it started pulling out of the station.

'Time to find a compartment...' I thought, wishing I would have been able to find one of my friends beforehand so I didn't look like such a loner now.

Ron and Hermione were the Gryffindor prefects this year, so I didn't have to worry about sitting with them since they had their special duties to take care of. I set off in search of Harry when I bumped into someone and fell over.

'Great. Very smooth, Skylar. Very smooth indeed' I thought to myself as I recovered from the small shock of falling over. I saw a hand extend to help me up and I took it gratefully.

"Thanks" I huffed as I dusted myself off. I looked up to see that the stranger who helped me was none other than the Slytherin Prince himself, Draco Malfoy.

"Watch where you're going next time, Smith" he sneered and strutted away, like he was king of the world or something.

"Git" I muttered as I rolled my eyes and walked away. No one should ever have to deal with Draco Malfoy this early in the morning. Yes, 11:00 is early in my mind.

I continued to wander down the corridor of the train before I came across a familiar patch of messy, black hair sitting alone in a compartment. I snuck inside and sat down across from Harry.

"Oh hello Skye" Harry said, turning towards me. "How was your summer?"

"Oh it was just wonderful! My mum and I went to Australia and it was just so beautiful and perfect and I absolutely loved it!" I squealed. "What about you?" I hadn't owled any of my friends all summer so I had quite a bit of catching up to do.

"Oh, Nothing special. Unless you count being attacked by a couple of dementors and a hearing for using magic to defend myself special" Harry muttered.

For the next hour or so, Harry and I chatted about his summer, his hearing, the torture his aunt, uncle, and cousin brought upon him, etc etc etc.

I felt really bad for Harry. If only his relatives were a bit nicer to him, maybe he wouldn't be as stressed out as he so obviously is.

Our conversation was soon interrupted by Ron and Hermione returning from their prefect duties.

I immediately leapt up from where I was sitting an have them both a bone-crushing hug.

"Oof! Hi Skye" Ron gasped as my hug sucked the breath out of him. "How've you been?"

"Fine, could be better, but I'm not complaining" I said, happy to be back with my three best friends.

The four of us talked until we pulled up to Hogwarts. I could barely contain my excitement; I was so happy to be home.

"Skye, are you alright?" Harry asked me with a slightly worried look on his face.

"Wha- oh yeah, I'm fine. Just happy to be back, is all!" I stated. Harry chuckled and pulled me along to a carriage.

"What are those things, d'you reckon?" Harry asked Ron, nodding at the horses pulling the carriages.

"What things?" Ron asked stupidly.

"They're thestrals, Harry, you can only see them if you've seen someone die" I told him quietly.

Harry paused before answering, although his answer was more of a question. "Who have you seen die, Skye?"

I answered quietly without making eye contact. "My father died when I was seven. Death Eaters; Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix Lestrange, and some others. Very nasty, actually. My mum and I don't like to talk about it. She still has nightmares about it sometimes."

"Oh" was all everyone in the carriage said. The ride to the castle was silent, and not the good silent. It was the awkward silent. Great.

As we neared Hogwarts, our carriage began chattering again and I was thankful for the awkward silence to have passed. We walked inside and sat down at the Gryffindor table, waiting for the sorting to start. The first years began to file in and waited for their name to be called so they could be sorted.

"Abercrombie, Euan"

-flashback-

"Malfoy, Draco"

I watched as the blonde boy I had been talking with on the train made his way to the stool. He sat on the stool and before the hat even touched his head, it screamed, "SLYTHERIN!!!"

I frowned. I had been hoping to be in the same house as him, seeing as he was so nice on the train.

"Potter, Harry"

The Great Hall fell silent as the famous Harry Potter made his way to the stool. I felt bad for him, not being able to be treated normally. He constantly had people staring at him. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it made him feel.

He had a long debate with the hat about which house to be sorted into, and the hat eventually decided on Gryffindor.

"Smith, Skylar" the elderly lady with the tall hat yelled. I slowly made my way up to the 3-legged stool and sat on it. The lady placed an old hat on my head and I gasped as it began talking to me.

"Ah, Miss Smith, I see you are very knowledgeable. You would do well in Ravenclaw"

I chuckled at this. Me? In Ravenclaw? The house known for intelligence? No thanks.

"No? Very well. I see you have ambition and cunning, both of which are valued by the Slytherin House" the hat muttered.

I considered this for a moment. What use would I be in Slytherin? Sure, I can talk my way out of almost anything, like any good Slytherin should be able to, but would I fit in?

"Oh my dear, you'd fit in perfectly in Slytherin!" The hat yelled and I blushed. I wish the entire Great Hall couldn't hear what it was saying.

Wait, what would my parents think of me if I ended up in Slytherin? My father had been a Gryffindor and my mum a Ravenclaw. Oh, guess that explains why I could possibly fit into Ravenclaw. Why Slytherin, then? My parents would disown me! Well, maybe not, but it sure would come as a big shock.

I had been hoping to get into Gryffindor, like my father. How would I ever tell my mum I was in Slytherin?

"Oh, so you want to be a Gryffindor?!" The Sorting Hat yelled again. "You would do well there, also. You possess much bravery, nerve, and daring. Very well, better be GRYFFINDOR!!!"

I sighed in relief as I hopped off the stool and made my way to the ecstatic Gryffindor table. As I looked over at the Slytherin table, I saw the blonde boy frowning. Hmm, I guess we had both been hoping to get into the same house.

-end flashback-

The sorting ended with Rose Zeller being sorted into Hufflepuff and Dumbledore saying a few words. The only thing I was focused on was food. As the food appeared in front of me, I piled it onto my plate.

"Slow down, Skye, you're gonna explode!" Ron told me. Yeah, Ron. When Ron says someone is eating too much, it usually means they're eating too much, but I could care less. I was hungry!

After the feast, Hermione and Ron had to help the first years, so I walked to the Gryffindor common room with Harry. We chatted for a bit before he announced he was going to bed and I decided I should do the same.

I fell asleep so fast I didn't even hear Hermione come in less than two minutes later.