Part 12

Shadow felt his heart breaking at the light of this new information, a look of depression embedded in Tails' eyes. Unsettling thoughts filling their minds.

"S-Sonic's feelings for me are...fake?"

"I'm afraid so. My mom feels she's doing you a favor, but..." He sighs. "It just doesn't feel right."

"Agreed."

"You...you aren't g-gonna punish my mom for this...are you?"

"...No...No I'm not, she did it out of the kindness of her heart...but I need the cure to her potion...I don't want Sonic's affection unless it's of his own free-will."

"Just wash it off, soap and water."

Shadow nods, gently ruffling the youngster's fur and straightening himself up to leave.

"Thank you Tails...now get inside before your mother worries."

Tails does as told without hesitation, standing long enough to watch the alpha slither off with a sorrowful aura around him. Shadow felt a burning sensation in his eyes and a lump in his throat, a feeling he's never experienced before. He ignores the unpleasant sensation, moping the entire way home; upon entering the tunnels he finds Sonic sitting in the living area awaiting his return. He smiles happily when he sees the large naga.

"Welcome home, Shadow." He smiles cutely, quickly jumping to his feet.

Shadow swallows the lump in his throat.

"Sonic, before you go to bed tonight, will you please take a bath? You...still smell like Silver." He lied.

"Hm...aw, but Shadow, you know I hate water."

"I know, I'll help you. I won't let your head go under, I promise."

"...fine..." He sighs hesitantly.

Shadow smiles slightly, desperately attempting to hide his sadness and picks up the little cobalt mobbian; carrying him to the bathing room and gently placing him in the water. Sonic shutters, clinging to Shadow. He sighs.

"Sonic, would you like me to get in with you?"

All Sonic does in response is nod frantically, quivering when the water touches his chest; he grips tighter to Shadow, pressing his body against the older's. Shadow holds him gently, carefully rubbing soap through the blue's exceptionally soft fur, receiving a quite purr from him as he does so.

"Sonic, I'm gonna need you to let go of me. Just for a little bit."

"B-But I'll s-sink!" He looks up at Shadow terrified.

"No you won't, I won't let you go...I just need to lean you back a bit to get your head wet, your face won't go under, I promise."

Sonic shutters, nodding slightly an closing his eyes tightly; Shadow cautiously tilts him back just enough to where the water covers his delicate ears, much of the potion rinsing out as he does so, the water revealing this by turning a slight purple color then fading away. Shadow lifts him back up and begins stroking soap through blue quills and fur, grateful that Sonic was more terrified of the water than him.

He brings him out of the water and begins drying Sonic and himself off, realizing Sonic had his head lowered, letting the shadows hide his face.

"Sonic? Are...Are you okay?" He cautiously reaches out to touch him, getting slapped away.

"M....m-monster!" He screams, rage and fear engulfing his eyes, just before running out of the room.

The lump in Shadow's throat has reformed, the burn back in his eyes, his heart. Broken. He touches his cheeks when he feels something wet running down them.

"Am I...crying?"