Chapter 3 - An Induction, Of Sorts

Forever it felt like you'd been locked in the carriage. You tried pressing the handle repeatedly, shaking the door, even kicking it- you knew it was your uncle's property but you'd do anything to get out of there. Your heart raced in a mad panic at the thought of what could be happening- what if the blighters had captured both Jacob and your uncle? -

A familiar and relief inducing face appeared at the window when you couldn't help but beam, delighted when Evie Frye unlocked the door with ease and opened it to greet you, a gust of the cold October air breezing into the carriage.

"(name)? What are you doing in here alone?"

With a shot of worry that coursed through your veins like lightning, you fumbled and panicked quickly - your brain urging your mouth to garble your stressors out to the female Frye twin.

"It's Uncle Aleck! Some of those blighters, whatever they're called- they were in the shop-" you were becoming increasingly more hysterical with each word, as it hit you the real danger your uncle was in. Evie soothed you gently, hushing you as she looked intently into your eyes with her warming sapphire gaze.

"Relax, calm down- I'll go and see what I can do." she said in a reserved manner. If only she'd been here to say that over ten minutes ago.

"There's no point." you blurted, clambering out of the door to walk to Evie's side, as she stopped dead, crossing her arms across her small chest, narrowing her eyes gently.

"What do you mean?" she asked, a cautionary hesitation in her tone that let you know what she was probably suspecting was most likely what you were about to say.

"Jacob locked me in here when he went to fight them- he said he would come back but it's been-" Evie silenced you with a frustrated sigh and a rolling of her eyes, two typical actions you always seemed to see from her when anything involved her twin brother.

"Can't the git do anything right for once?" she spat, as you followed hesitantly at her heels. Evie seemed less concerned about the potential weapon wielding blighters in the shop and more about setting her brother straight.

Once you arrived in the shop doorway after treading carefully up the stone path to the door, your (eye colour) eyes set upon something that was rather shocking to see.

One of the two blighters, the stockier one, was passed out in a slumped heap on the floor of the shop, his dagger limply hanging out of his hand- and when your eyes scanned more around the room you noticed Jacob had the other by the throat, grasping hard as he looked straight into the blighter's eyes with a sneering look of wolfish hatred.

"Jacob!" Evie snapped, as her twin brother shot her glance before quickly slamming the more slight blighter's head against the shop wall with enough force that it knocked him unconscious, before dropping his body to the wooden floor with disregard. The younger Frye twin then smiled like butter wouldn't melt, a warming hazel look in his eyes- clearly hoping to win Evie over.

"I was just taking care of the situation." he protested weakly, as you still stood shell shocked by the sight of everything, including Uncle Aleck stood shaking in the corner of the shop, his dark brown eyes shot wide in a petrified fashion.

"Don't you look at me like that Jacob!" she hissed, prodding his chest lightly, "There were other more strategic ways of dealing with this rather than charging in here guns blazing."

"Didn't use my pistol once." he replied smugly, like a child playing games. Evie scowled slightly, half in anger and half in confusion.

"What?" she blurted, checking she'd registered his cockiness correctly.