Chapter 8 - The Enemy's Puppet

Despite Jacob's seemingly time stopping embrace - the world continued on around me, much to your sadness, as you could hear the gentle chatter of people passing by and the sweet chirruping of the tiny birds in the park.

"I'm so sorry to hear about Aleck..." Jacob murmured with a sigh, holding you out at arms length, a firm and comforting hold on your shoulders, "Maybe we should both go back and see if he's alright."

"The maids won't let me in- I doubt you'll be allowed in either. It's probably just best if I go home." you said weakly, feeling another surge of a downwards spiral on your mood. You didn't want t be rude, you really liked Jacob but at that present time you felt it wouldn't be best for him to be with you any longer, you felt you were being rude and abrupt because of your temper.

"Let me escort you back then." he insisted politely, a warm shine in this brown button-like eyes, but you shook your head softly in resistance.

"No Jacob- it's fine- I can walk myself back." you insisted, gripping your shawl tighter of your shoulders, watching his expression drop slightly; it was clear he wasn't comfortable with you walking back on your own.

"It might be getting dark soon." he replied as you had started to walk away, catching your wrist before his hand slipped into your own, and your gaze flicked up with a pang in your heart, how you didn't wish to upset him.

"Jacob please, this is one thing I ask for. I just... think some time for myself would be nice." you had started, finding yourself unable to look at him, and even without glancing up you could feel the sadness growing on his well structured face, "I'm not in the best of moods- I don't want you remembering this day for me being stubborn." you added, eyes trailing up slowly to find his own chocolate orbs as you leaned in and pressed a short and sweet kiss to his lips, retreating downwards as your hand gently fell to his upper arm for a moment. "Goodnight, Jacob." you called faintly, before once again huddling in your snowy white woollen shawl and walking over the bridge to the exit of the park.

By now the sun had all but sunken, hanging on the periphery of the London skyline, it's bright orange hues almost blinding as it silhouetted each objected in sight, casting the city with a soft golden glow as it retreated into the night.

The streets of London were beginning to empty with each passing minute, and it seemed each flagstone you took a step from the colder the air seemed to fall around you, and the more enhanced the shadows became, and a sense of foreboding darkness lurked about your person.

Turning into a grimy alleyway, you debated with yourself a for a few seconds whether you should take the better lit main streets and spend a few more minutes walking home or cut off some time from your journey. Shrugging, you decided you could risk it and take a cut through the narrow side street.

The sounds of your footsteps echoed from every wall, the usual red bricked houses like a dark, dull grey in the night sky, and as you exhaled your breath plumed out on the icy air surrounded you, a shiver shooting down your spine.

An animal, primal sense of becoming prey made your stomach tighten in fearful apprehension, and without really thinking your footsteps became quicker- but still the alleyway seemed never ending. More footsteps seemed to track your own, but you weren't sure if it was your own heartbeat drumming loudly in your ears and the state of mind you were in, but you could not even bring yourself to look around to check.

"Slow down, sweetheart." a dark voice lured from the shadows, a hand , cold and unforgiving, hauled your body up against the brick side wall of a house, as you squeaked loudly, frozen in fear. Him.

"W-what are you doing?" It was the blighter Starrick had introduced as 'Mr Cobs', and now your heart had filled with even more dread at the very sight of him, especially after witnessing what he'd done to your Uncle.