Chapter 9 - Pretty When You Cry

A/n: I'm writing this casually on my phone, it's late at night and I'm listening to music and everything else around me is deadly silent- that's how I write best- at the bottom of this chapter I'll maybe write a mini playlist as to what I listened to when I wrote this.

Anyway, enjoy my Carton of Fryes <3

-----

Head spinning, heart rushing and blood pumping- Jacob stormed to the train with you bundled in his arms, holding you close to his heart.

Evie's words from what seemed ages ago now, circled in his head- reminding him of the danger he'd be putting you in.

Jacob cussed himself mentally as he ran- how foolish of him to be so cocksure about being able to keep you safe. Suddenly he was regretting letting his heart yearn for you so- getting wrapt in your mere presence that the pair of you had fallen in love. He wanted to be yours, but didn't want you to be in harms way.

Jacob managed to catch the train as it drew through Whitechapel station, speeding aboard, running through the carriages as Rook's faces passed, and Henry tried to force a 'good evening, Mr Frye'- only be ignored.

"Evie-" Jacob panted, laying your unconscious body down in his usual spot in the couch. He stood back for a moment as he was met with the fear stricken expression of his sister.

"Jacob what- how!? Miss Bell- what happened to her?"  The elder Frye twin asked, her eyes wide like sapphire saucers, "I just knew no good could come of her going home alone."

Hazel eyes firmly fixed on your currently dormant form, he couldn't help but notice the slightly dull pallor that had captured your skin- and the guilt that flooded like water through dam gates into his soul. This was his doing.

"You were right." Jacob stated, whilst Evie was busying herself checking your vitals. She lashed her gaze around over her shoulder, a slight frown forming on her brows.

"Right? About what?" She asked a little snappily, finding Jacob avoiding the situation a little pig headed.

"(Name). And me. We can't be, can we?" He added with the tone of a little boy, eyes watering with impending tears.

The realisation had swept in- in waves of doubt and then small lapping moments of reassurance- only to once again be washed out by the reminder you could've been killed. Jacob  told himself there was no way of being to have you and not have the constant plaguing worry at the back of his mind that someone was out to get you- that was no way to be in love.

"Jacob..." Evie sighed, her voice breaking a little, shaking her head in a misted fashion- she didn't know what to say. She would usually snark a I told you so; but this was no time to do so.

Her blue gems tore from your motionless frame and up to her twin brother who was biting his knuckle in worry, his eyes not leaving your face.

"I... I think you could be right. Tonight had just further proved what dangers Miss Bell is in once she becomes involved with our work." Evie spoke quietly, her head bowed slightly, not daring to test her emotions and look him in the eye.

"I'm sorry it took this to be able to get you to see, Jacob." She added a few moments later, just before the crushing silence set in.

Fleetingly, Jacob's chestnut brown eyes skipped to the floor beneath his feet- his heart's pleas for love, for once having to go ignored. He used his head over his heart- and respectfully- he could only hear the voices that whispered Let her go.

A shaky sigh fell from his parted lips, and he looked to Evie with a secured expression on his face.

"I'll... I'll tell her when she wakes." He consolidated, as Evie responded with a wry, reassuring smile as she patted his arm softly before exiting the carriage and deciding to leave Jacob in peace with you.