Chapter 4 - A Taste of London

One white knuckled, hair raising and utterly terrifying carriage drive later, you stumbled out of the carriage a little dizzy, Jacob smirking at you as he gently took your hand lightly to help you out of the carriage.

Before your shining (eye colour) eyes, was the figure of a grand, arched building that just looked like it meant business. You could almost feel the hive like energy radiating from the place, the bustling that was going on inside, the comings and goings of all the steam trains that chugged in and out regularly.

"You wanted Kings Cross- now here it is." Jacob announced, gesturing out at the place as you stood transfixed. Coming from such an isolated area in the country, you had never seen such a busy station and like clocks and many other mechanics, the inner workings of how it all moved smoothly amazed you.

Sticking close to Jacob's side, as he made it clear Evie would kill him if anything happened to you, the pair of you rose up the steps, shrouded in the darkness of those ascending walls with the one fixture of light coming from the sunlight through the glass roof in the station, almost like you were going to heaven.

It only took a moment to be plunged into it all once you hit the summit of the stairs, and now free of the horrible overly frilly and fancy dress you arrived in, it felt more easy for you to just blend in as one of the middle classes, to gaze away without looking any different to anyone else.

It was then you ended up drifting into the crowds, listening to the shouting and the smell of foods, the loud calls from the train's themselves as they arrived in- you loved this busy, fast paced life- it was like you would always be doing something- never stopping, always on the go.

"Look out," Came Jacob's voice very quietly, as his bear paw like hand wrapped itself around your slight wrist and pulled you back gently closer to him. It was when you followed the line of his rather intimidating green gaze that you noticed the cluster of three blighters a few metres away. "I'd keep our distance- I don't want to be creating any scenes whilst i'm with you." Jacob sighed, rolling his eyes and you could tell the way he'd taken to emphasising two words in particular, that it had clearly been a previous caution from his sister.

Quite happy to wander off in the other direction still, you took in the sights and even just stopped to look up at the ceiling- a little unaware of the fact Jacob was looking over you with a half smile, probably finding your behaviour towards the place rather amusing- as he'd become so used to it all.

"I'll take you up there later on if you like." he said rather brashly, as you had to take a moment to think about what he'd said before turning back to gawp at him, a little confused.

"I beg your pardon, Jacob?"

"It's simple enough." he exclaimed, his hazel eyes tracing the shape of the arched glass roof. "I have a grapple hook that you're dear old uncle gave to me not too long ago, it makes getting to high up places a lot easier." his gaze then studied you carefully, as you took note of the way his eyes flickered over you- making your cheeks feel a little hot. "You don't look too heavy either, I bet I've carried a twist of sugar heavier than you, love- getting you up on the roof will be no problem" he jeered, sneering lightly.

Part of you wanted to say 'but what will Evie say?' or 'would my Uncle approve?' but then it clicked in that moment, just staring at his simply lovely and seemingly interested smile that you didn't really care. You just wanted to see the real London, not the poxy upperclass, strict, cautionate side you had already had too much in your life. No, you wanted to gritty side of London - Dark corners in the back of alleys, grimy gutters and stray animals roaming around.

"Alright then Frye- when the sun sets I want to watch it from the roof." you challenged with a new burst of keen interest and confidence, folding your arms over your chest as he laughed slightly towards you, his brows raised in a coy fashion as the assassin started to pace back towards the stairs out of the station.