Chapter 13 - Pride

The sky was a pale blue, faded as it melded into night- as you entered back into the shop with a cold sigh of relief from the bitterness of nightfall and a particularly draining day.

"How was your trip out with Victor?" Uncle Aleck practically leapt on you with questions, as you looked at him boggle eyed for a moment.

"Oh- er, we both decided it wasn't meant to be." You smiled dismissively, slipping your shawl off of your figure as your Uncle looked at you with disappointed eyes.

"Oh..." He mumbled, his gaze dropping slightly, "and why's that?" He said, clearly he wanted reason as to why his matchmaking skills hadn't gone to plan.

"We just... Decided we didn't really see much in one another." You implemented, offering your uncle a short smile, "thank you so much for trying though uncle Aleck- it was sweet of you to consider me." A false yet convincing smile appeared on your face as your uncle gave a soft shrug.

"Ah well," he chuckled, "if it is not so then why try to force it?"

He was exactly right- besides, you already a certain someone occupying your thoughts.

"Georgie has dinner on, by the way." Aleck exclaimed, as you leaned against the wall of the shop and once again took Jacob's little invite out and examined it, smirking.

It constantly made you internally giddy when you imagined him wanting you to see him fighting- he took so much pride in it, and that he wanted to impress you with his talent made your heart flutter.

"What's that?" Aleck asked, as in shock your head lifted and you choked a little on air in shock.

"Oh- I- nothing." You cleared up quickly, coughing lightly, "do you want some help?" You asked instead, seeing he was still messing around with the metal box from earlier.

"No no," your Uncle excused, waving his hand a little at you, "I'm just fine."

"I'll just go and get changed." You added quickly, scuttling from the room quick enough before Aleck could think to question you smiling at the invite anymore.

Once safely behind the door of your room, you smiled with a girlish look, clutching the invite a little closely, biting your lip softly to hold back your grin- it was a little crazy how excited you were to be able to be so close to him again.

With a little squeal, you threw yourself down on your bed, grasping your pillow as you clutched it tight to your pale blue dress, you buried your face into the fabric to muffle your excited squeaks.

It was after a few minutes you realised how comfortable your bed was... And how tired you were. You constantly told yourself you hadn't even had your dinner yet, not got into your night gown- even still, you managed to fall asleep.

-----

Morning came, the same lace curtains barely shielded the pale light as you groaned, waking fairly early as a chill stirred around your body.

Lifting your head, you sighed with how hungry you were, and then further disgusted yourself seeing you went to sleep in the same dress.

Firstly you washed and dressed into a comfortably navy blue dress, carefully platting your (hair colour) hair into a side braid, feeling a little better about yourself since you felt fresher.

Next it was down the stairs to see Georgie in the workshop with your Uncle, as he was talking to her rather excitedly about his new invention.

"I don't know much about these devices of yours Mr Bell, sir, but they are awfully clever." She laughed with rosy cheeks, you almost felt rude interrupting their little moment.