Chapter 16 -The Blackest Day

A/N- I'm writing this before work, well some of it. I just can't stop thinking about this book all the time goddamn xD Thank you to @violetbiscuit123 for the suggestion a few days ago :-)

-----

The streets were scarce, ghostly empty as the carriage bolted down the streets- typical when Jacob was driving.

Inside the carriage you were sat with the Rooks Tony and Maria, who looked about just as frightened of Jacob's driving as you were.

"George is bloody brave to be sat out there with him," Maria commented with a sigh, looking across as you, "id be tempted to take the reins from him myself." She smirked, her green eyes blazing slightly, as she tried to lighten the mood. You were nervous beyond belief- your stomach churning - and Tony was just generally miserable about the prospect of Socks being in danger.

Gazing briefly out of the window, you could see the dark silhouette of the factory approaching closer, as the carriage began to slowly reduce in speed, thank god. In a moment, the horse had turned with a swift pull of the reins into the slip road, rolling quietly down into the desolate unloading bay of the factory- where the lone and now empty delivery cart stood.

"That's the one." Tony hissed angrily, "bastards- I'll have em!" He snarled in a low fashion, as you shook your head softly.

"In your own time perhaps- we're in and out of here with the cat, no trouble." You reinforced Jacob's words, "you don't want Bloody Nora getting involved yet- especially when there's so little of us." Considering you knew so little about the gangs within the city and what the Blighters and the Rooks really did, you had understood so far that Bloody Nora seemed an unpleasant woman- and you certainly didn't want to catch her in a dark alleyway at this time of night.

Moments later, after glances of agreement the doors on the carriage opened up, and Jacob and George were stood present.

You ascended the steps carefully, Jacob, still being the gentleman he was, held your hand as he helped you down from the carriage and to the grimy, dark cobbles.

"Maria- I was thinking you could go with (name) to distract the Blighters, she may need assistance in keeping them occupied, especially when sticking the lock." Jacob explained, as Maria nodded obediently.

"George, Tony- with me- the others have told me there's a group of Blighters on the second floor of the factory. It's them for certain, no one else is around at this time." Jacob entailed, a leadership in his strong voice that was undeniable.

"Rooks! Set off, assess your situations." He added in a clear tone, as Maria started to walk towards the factory and said she would meet you on the east side of the second floor, where the office was.

Thinking to follow, you were stopped when Jacob grasped your wrist, pulling you, as you almost twirled in a daze, falling against his chest as the next moment he kissed you passionately without word, holding you so tightly.

"Promise me you'll be careful." Jacob started once your lips parted, "I shan't forgive myself if God forbid, something happened to you-"

"Don't worry about a thing. We'll regroup sooner than anything." You offered in return, leaning up to press a slow kiss to his lips.

"I love you." You spoke softly, watching his smile cock gently in the exchange of your words.

He chuckled singularly, caressing your cheek lightly before he started to walk backwards.

"Go on, go and join Maria." Jacob instructed, before turning on his heels and walking with an almost powerful stride, the tails on his outdoors man's coat breezing in the wind. Your heart ached as the pair of you parted, as you disciplined your mind for losing focus- following Maria's precious compass to the base of some wrought iron stairs, the metal beginning to twist and rust.