Chapter 17 - Obligation

A/N: I'm writing in bed again like a baby in my fluffy pyjamas- expect unlike babies I am 200% sin. 

----

As soon as your body had smacked the surface of the rust brown coloured water of the Thames, you were dragged like a stone sinking in a stream, pulled this way and that with the conflicting currents of passing barges and boats.

You kicked and spluttered in a panic to surface, unable to open your eyes to the more than grotesque waters, your dress suddenly a weighty bother as you tried to fight the pull of the river, further panicking about how deep the water was, and how eerily dark everything felt.

You were going to die.

------

6:30am.

The London skies were bleak- a grey overcast had merged with the usual thick smog of the city, the sunlight desperately trying to break through only to succeeded in becoming a bright white light veiled behind the clouds and the smoke.

Half an hour earlier the Rooks had been briefed on what their sole objective was- they were obligated to find you and that alone.

Jacob had assigned everyone their position, before he paced up and down the bank side of the river himself, waiting on a miracle for someone to find you.

"Jacob," a familiar voice that as of recent, had sounded so stern. The younger Frye twin looked up to see his sister, her face ridden with a sadness.

"Maria told me... About Miss Bell." She started, shaking her head, "I know you have affections for her."

"I know it pains you to be close to me after what I did at the party." Jacob grizzled, Evie rolling her eyes in a tiresome fashion.

"I'm not an idiot, Jacob Frye. I can piece together the evidence, I know you snuck off with (name) at the party." She said, sounding more teasing than angry, watching her brother go a shade of red as he blushed slightly.

"I should've known... How could I expect you to leave her be- you love her, and very clearly so." She added compassionately, letting her hand fall to Jacob's broad shoulder, "I forgive you for what happened."

Sighing with a relieved small smile, Jacob felt a weight lift from his shoulders. At least losing his twin sister was one less thing to worry about.

There was a moment of unpressed silence between the two, before Evie lifted her sapphire eyes.

"I could help if you wish-"

"Only if your not busy." Jacob answered quickly, his eyes fleeing down as he felt them prickle and sting with tears. "I just can't help but feel this is all futile- a waste of time." He managed to say, his voice croaky and full of hurt as he tried to suck up his sadness, lifting his eyes to meet Evie's caring gaze.

"Keep faith Jacob, (name) is a strong girl- I have a positive feeling." She said truthfully- she had seen you change and adapt a lot to London since you arrived- and Evie could sense that the fall from the bridge hadn't wiped your existence from the planet.

It was all just about finding where exactly you were.

----

The water around your body had drained every bit of might you had, prickling against your skin sharply and chilling your senses to the core, you felt numb, and like a piece of driftwood you let yourself go with whatever direction the river took you, a sensation of slowly slipping away entering your mind.

"There's somebody out there!" a voice shouted, your brain just barely able to register the words that became raised from over the waves of the river, and there was the clear sound of running in the water, frantic splashes as you felt someone's arms hook under your own, dragging you from the river and up a concrete slope, your back then lowered slowly against the cold cobbles, as you began to shake violently.