Dreaded Patrols

Hermione Granger liked to think she had patience. Granted, she liked to think she had a lot of traits, she was an only child after all and her parents doted on her like she could do no wrong. But instead of taking advantage of her parents and their never ending love of her. She took it upon herself to be a rather golden child. She took her education and upbringing seriously. She made sure to be well mannered and with the exception of the twins, she never quite frolicked like a child with others to her parents somewhat bewilderment.

However, Pansy Parkinson could very easily be her undoing. She did not know how so many prejudiced and foul words could come from one person so rapidly. She had composed herself rather well when Parkinson had claimed that Hogwarts had gone to the slugs when they were now making mudbloods into Prefects. And then she had talked about how, they had a certain stench unlike any other. Hermione secretly hoped that was right, so Parkinson would have to suffer through the stench as much as Hermione had to, of her grotesque bigotry.

"And Hufflepuffs. What a useless house if there was ever any. I do not believe one noteworthy person has ever been made. And what a joke, the Head Boy only got his position because everyone pitied him for tying with a fourth year." She said, though she neglected to add it wasn't just any forth year but Harry.

Okay, that was it. "Parkinson, how do you even leave your house, when your world is chock full of such drudgery? Why do you not just lock yourself in a tower and throw away the key. So that you're not so put upon by mudbloods and unworthy persons at every corner." Hermione asked in such mockery, even she was surprised by how sickeningly saccharine she sounded.

For the first time all night, Parkinson was quiet. As she hadn't even gotten a peep from the Gryffindor the whole time, despite addressing her as mudblood. And saying she was only admired because no one expected much from mudblood anyway. People would clap if a mudblood could merely raise a wand.

She however did not get to respond as a cough like laugh could be heard not far down the hall.

Hermione peered down the hall, as three sets of footsteps could be heard. Alexia Ilium led the way as Cedric and Ian walked together, just behind her. The Head Girl gave Hermione nothing more than a brief glance but the boys grinned at her like as if their night had been made.

"Parkinson, Granger. You're both relieved of your duty. Myself and Nielson will take over for the last hour. Thank you for your work. Though I would mind next time if you would cut the chatter to a minimum. Any student loitering past hours would have no problem going undetected with the warning."

Parkinson actually had the grace to blush. Though it was most likely because Ilium like herself was a Slytherin. "Yes Lexi," she said before turning around to hear towards the dungeon.

"Thanks for defending us Hufflepuffs' honors." Ian winked at her.

"I didn't say enough-" Hermione began but Ilium raised a brow and Hermione cautiously trailed off.

"Come on Mimi, I'll walk you back to your dorm." Cedric said, lightly putting a hand at her waist and ushering her with him. "Good night Ian, Ilium." Cedric said with a slight nod.

"Night!" Ian chirped back.

Alexi Ilium, said a stout goodnight.

"I really did enjoy the sarcasm." Cedric finally said as they turned the corner and out of earshot of the two.

"I cannot believe you paired me on my first rounds as prefect to be with Pansy Parkinson!" Hermione seethed, getting straight to the point.

Cedric sheepishly grimaced. "Well with quidditch tryouts coming up, most of the prefects need their rest."