Modicum of Victory

"Are you questioning the Minister's competency! This is outrageous. Dolores Umbridge fired- not even letting Cedric take a breath.

"Dolores," Amelia Bones' voice boomed from McGonagal's seat, nearest the Minister. "I do not think that is what the Head Boy is getting at. Rather, he wants a professor whose interests are solely on his education- not a judge and juror whose authority over steps that of a professors. How do you expect other professors who you must work with as a team unit to guide our brightest youths to an even brighter future, when they regard their fellow professor not as a comrade but as an adjudicator."

"I say, if the professors are all competent, then it should-"

"Dolores," Minister Fudge exclaimed as he could feel the growing ire of the faculty of Hogwarts around him, all bristling at Umbridge's attempt to put herself in a higher position than them when they had been teaching at the famed school for years. After all Minerva McGonagal stood right behind his chair beside Dumbledore. She had been named Merlin's Apprentice many years in a row- having been chosen by her student as one of their most influential professors who fostered their education. Many of her students going on to be great inventors, writers, and even quidditch players.

All the while, Cedric Diggory stood there silent, unmoving as he let his words influence the adults at the head table. He knew that if he said anything more- it would look like he was starting an uprising and questioning the adults. Exactly the thing his brilliant girlfriend told him not to do... So in order to accomplish anything with Fudge, he needed to make it seem like as if he had no sway in this matter, that it was all Fudge who was behind any decision making. A part of him also wanted to bring up that Umbridge was using black quills on students- namely Harry, but he knew if he did, he'd be shut down. They'd accuse him of uncalled for accusations and turn a blind eye- as the ministry already were well known for doing. Then they would've lost the whole war not just the battle. Slowly they had to strip power from Umbridge- then put her incompetency on display for everyone to see- especially powerful and influential parents who would not like their children's futures in jeopardy by failing their O.W.L. and N.E.W.T.S. After that, they could push Umbridge out of Hogwarts altogether. When the ministry could no longer aide and abide her, then Cedric would present her illegal detentions so she had nothing to protect her from the cells of Azkaban.

First, they needed to slowly strip Umbridge of her powers. They needed to convince Fudge's ministry to step back- but they had to make it seem like it was Fudge's goodwill- not a student's idea. Without the ministry, Umbridge was no more powerful than the stupid book she'd assign them. Then they'd display her incompetence. A professor who used the same book and lesson plan to teach first years as well as seventh years about to face the N.E.W.Ts.

He could see everything falling into place... he just needed patience and some charm- which according to Hermione, he had excess of.

Hermione was practically holding her breath as she squeezed Harry's hand. What was Cedric Diggory doing? Where had he been? Still, she wanted to smile because he was brilliant. Yet, despite this brilliance, he'd avidly done his best to dim his personality and demeanor so that the attention was not on him, that he didn't steal the spotlight. In this manner, the adults (mainly Fudge) did not feel upstaged and would not be threatened. How he did it, she didn't know.

-!-!-!-

In the end, none of the students actually knew what happened. The candles in the great hall began to dim so they'd all been dismissed except the teachers, the visiting guests, and both Heads.

As it was that evening, it was Ron and Ian's turn to make rounds as prefects. Harry was beside them under his cloak. As for Hermione, after the stress and lack of sleep and food from yesterday, the boys had left her to sleep in front of the fireplace with a promise to tell her everything.