A leap Of Faith

Thank you to ClearAsSapphire for the many banners, this is one of them>>>

I stood at the edge of my bed starring at the newest edition to my closet. Melody’s clothes were neatly folded and squished into my large green laundry basket. Although they would end up in my closet, they would probably never end up on me. Maybe just for wear around the house, like Melody’s favorite sleep shirt that she would let me steal every once in a while.

A few of her other things that my mother refused to give up scattered my room. This included some of her perfume bottles, a few school academic and sports letters, and just some old pictures. At the sight of Melody smiling next to Mark, holding hands at the town fair that was actually coming up, I couldn’t help but hold back some tears. It was what I was good at, holding things in.

It was easier to pretend everything was okay then to let everything out.

“Sutton, you’re going to be late for school,” my mother said walking into my room without knocking.

When she noticed my appearance; pajamas and messy hair, she sighed. “Are you not feeling up for school?”

 “I think I might have the flu,” I lied.

She sighed. “Well I’ll just make you some soup and bring it up before I leave for work. Are there any movies you would like me to bring up as well?”

I shook my head. “Just turn off the light when you leave please.”

Without another word, I collapsed back into bed and curled up under my comforter. The familiar feeling of my blankets and pillows put me at ease. I reached out for my IPod and plugged in my head phones. As soon as Lana Del Ray reached my ears, I let my eyes close.

The soft sound of her soothing alto voice almost blocked out everything; almost.

I was just about out when my mother came back into my room. She placed a bowl of steaming hot soup that I would never eat on my bedside table and took out one of my ear buds.

“I let Mark in, he wanted to stop by, but I’m leaving now. Just call if you need anything.”

She placed a small kiss on my cheek before walking back across the room. Mark appeared after she left, and he quietly walked over to my bed.

“You should eat this,” he said motioning towards the soup.

I shook my head and buried my face into my pillow.

“Well I can’t let it go to waste now can I?”

The sound of slurping liquid filled my ears and I smiled. Leave it up to Mark to eat the sick person’s soup, not that it mattered.  

“So are you ever going to tell me what had you so upset at the party?” he asked casually, as if  hadn’t told him to stop asking a million times already.

Sighing, I sat up in bed and crossed my arms over my chest. Maybe if I gave him the silent treatment he would just stop trying all together.

“Come on Sutton.”

“Sutton please?”

“You know you want to tell me.”

“It might feel good just letting it all out.”

“Pretend I’m you diary!”

If only I had one…

“Oh wait you don’t have one…”

“Well I bet you told Vee, just pretend I’m her!”

“Sutton come on, you can talk to me!”