Out With A Bang

Colton’s POV

“You look fine.”

My mother was standing in the doorway of my bedroom with her hand on her hip. I tugged at my shirt one more time before grabbing my keys.

“You know that she really surprised me last night. Sutton is special Colton,” she said.

I walked over to her and squeezed through the small gap she left in the doorway. “That’s why I like her.”

Before I could escape, my mom grabbed my arm and pulled me into a small hug. I breathed in her familiar lavender smell that always reminded me of home.

“You treat her good, alright?”

I rolled my eyes and took off towards the garage. Tonight had to be perfect. I had everything planned out, and nothing was going to ruin it. Sutton deserved a special night. She was more than just a girlfriend to me. Ever since the black and white party she’s been all I can think about. I don’t understand how everyone could just look past her. Melody was beautiful, but Sutton is so much more than a pretty face.

“Whoa my brother, she’s got you in deep. Those eyes tell all.”

Charlotte sat at the kitchen table with her new phone glued to her hand. No doubt she was online tearing apart a little girl’s picture or scrutinizing someone. She had a talent with words…

“When you start dating, I’ll be here every step of the way. Karma’s a bitch Char,” I told her with a smirk.

She raised her eyebrow. “I’m impressed, normally you would have just scowled.”

“Good bye devil.”

I checked the time on my phone and realized that I was running late. Great, my perfect night was already on a time crunch. I hopped on the back of my bike and sped down the street like a crazy person. I usually wasn’t too much of a reckless driver but I wanted to make sure I was on time. Sutton’s house was only a few minutes away, and by the time I pulled up I could feel my hands start to sweat.

I never got nervous.

Taking a deep breath, I took off my helmet and made my way up towards her front door. Before I could knock, her father opened the door and smiled down at me.

“I’m sorry we didn’t have a very good introduction the other night,” he said sounding slightly embarrassed.

“I’m Tom.” He held out this hand.

We had a firm handshake and I pulled away as fast as possible. He probably was disgusted with how wet my palm was. “Colton.”

Mr. Bran smiled. “Yes Colton, I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“Good stuff I hope?”

He laughed. “Why of course. Why don’t you come in, Sutton will be down shortly. I’d love to chat, but I have a meeting in a few minutes so I have to go. Take care of her tonight.”

I waved goodbye to Sutton’s dad as he rushed off towards the kitchen. My hands we still wet so I slid them along the back of my pants nervously. Why in the world did I feel so jumpy? Sutton and I had spent enough time together to the point where she was even comfortable around me.

“Well don’t you look handsome.”

Sutton was standing at the bottom of the stairs with a giddy smile on her face. She was wearing a short red dress the came in at the waist and flared out to mid-thigh. Of course she remembered my favorite color on her, she always remembered that sort of stuff. She raised her eyebrow in my direction as if she knew I was checking her out and laughed.