In Way Too Deep

“Done.”

Unclenching my fists, I cautiously peeled my eyes open. I waited for another painful sting, but felt absolutely nothing.

Colton chuckled from beside me. “He’s done Sutton.”

 I nodded my head, wanting to look down at my hip but forcing myself not to. What if he messed up the tattoo? I mean, I had to live with this decision for the rest of my life.

“It looks good.”

Colton’s hand brushed against the skin around my hip bone and I felt myself involuntarily shiver. Slowly in my head I counted to three. Once I reached zero, I shot a quick glance down towards my stomach area. Right over my left hip bone, surrounded by a circle of irritated red skin was a small hollow infinity sign. I pulled myself up into a sitting position and glanced further at the tattoo. The name ‘Melody’ was inscribed into the hollow infinity sign, the cursive letters swirling gracefully around in black ink.

A smile reached my lips. “It’s perfect.”

I glanced up at Colton and noticed the trace of a grin spreading across his face. “Well I mean it was my idea…”

“Way to ruin the moment,” I mumbled.

The tattoo artist appeared from the back room with a small bandage and cleaning bottle. He instructed me to lie back down and quickly washed the skin on and around the tattoo. After he was done a bandage was placed over my hip bone and we were free to go. Colton had pre-paid him, but I insisted on paying him back. All he had said was that I would somehow, just not with money. Whatever that meant…

“Come on let me get you home,” Colton finally said.

Nodding my head, I followed him out of the tattoo shop and into the street. It was dark out and a chilly wind swept by, tossing my hair in all directions. The ride home was short, and even though the bitter wind nipped at my exposed arms, the feeling of holding on to Colton was enough of a distraction.

I banished the though from my head and willed myself to forget about his warm back as we pulled into my driveway. The kitchen lights were on and I saw my mother perched at the table through the front window. After taking off Colton’s helmet, I slowly turned to look at him. I tried not to think about how sexy his hair looked all messed up, but it was inevitable.

“Thanks for not making me get some stupid tattoo of your face or something.”

At this he smiled. “If you want to go back I can ask my frie—“

“No,” I said in a rush, “trust me.”

Colton chuckled. “Goodnight Sutton.”

“Night.”

I turned around and walked towards my front door. Even before I became good friends with Colton, I always told myself not to fall for a guy like him. He was too unpredictable. But here I was, feeling more and more attracted to him every time he hung out.

Maybe I needed a break from Colton.

What was I thinking…there was no way I was getting a break from Colton. He was here to stay.

Sighing, I opened my front door and shut it quietly behind me. Just as my mother called out, I pulled down the bottom of my shirt to make sure she wouldn’t see the bandage.

“Sutton is that you?”

I followed her voice into the kitchen and sat down at the chair across from her. “How was yoga?”

“Fine. Where were you?”

“Out.”

She sighed. “With who? And why so late on a school night?”