Breathless

Carefully, I pulled my car into the parking lot of Rosewood Custard. Colton’s bike was nowhere to be seen, and a little shred of hope entered my body. Maybe he had something going on, or maybe he just forgot. Trying to control my shaky hands, I reached into my back pocket and pulled out the list. Taking in a deep breath, I searched until I found number eight.

Make out with someone…

MAKE OUT WITH SOMEONE?

What was I thinking? I hadn’t even ever held anyone’s hand. The thought of just a peck made me nervous, and Colton had already kissed me before.

Suddenly there was a loud tapping noise to my left. I practically craped my pants as I turned to find Colton, who had his face smashed up against the glass. Rolling my eyes, I reached over and opened the window.

“Don’t scare me like that!”

He rolled his eyes. “What are you doing sitting in the car?”

I gulped. There was no way I would let Colton know I was nervous, no way.

“You’re nervous aren’t you?”

Shit. “No, I just, I had to get my sock!”

The words tumbled out of my mouth before I could even process what I was saying. I felt the familiar warmth of blush creeping up my cheeks and Colton laughed. “Your sock?”

“Yeah, my foot was cold...”

“Just one?”

I nodded slowly. “Sometimes this thing happens where only one of my feet gets cold, so I usually carry around a sock. It should be here somewhere…”

I had the urge to hit myself on the forehead as I opened the glove department and started to shuffle through my things. I knew I wouldn’t find a sock in my car, but I had to make it look believable, even if Colton didn’t believe me.

“Yep looks like I left it at home, oh well.”

With a shrug I grabbed my keys and motioned for Colton to move back. Stepping out of the car, I closed the door behind me and locked it.

“You have sandals on Sutton,” Colton said with a chuckle.

As if I didn’t believe him, I looked down at my feet and turned even redder. Every time I blushed a hot sensation blossomed over my cheeks and neck, and right now I felt like I was on fire. Peeking up at Colton, I noticed the grin that had started to form on his perfect face.

Perfect face?

God I needed to put my mind on a leash; I couldn’t think these things about Colton, he was just a friend, that’s all.

“Well it’s not like I couldn’t wear a sock with my sandal!” I exclaimed in a “duhh” tone.

“I’ve never seen you wear a sock and a sandal, much less socks and sandals. Either way, both are horrible fashion choices.”

We started towards the custard place, my heart picking up pace. “Well I mean it’s not like you always check my feet when we hang out.”

“I notice everything about you Sutton,” he replied so casually as if it weren’t some sort of intimate compliment.

I followed behind him so he wouldn’t notice my blushing face and jittery hands. Why was I so nervous? Never had Colton made me feel this way, and suddenly the thought of kissing him was in my mind.

As we walked in, a bell above the door signified our entrance. A young woman, probably in her twenties looked up from behind the counter and smiled kindly at Colton.